Ghana Universities Sports Association (GUSA) will begin preparations later this month for the upcoming World University Games which will be organized in Naples, Italy, in July.
Following the Successful end of the 2019 GUSA games at the University of Cape coast, the technical team have an idea of athletes who will be representing the country at the World Games.
Hosts University of Cape Coast (UCC) emerged the overall winners at the GUSA games this year with a total of 20 gold medals, 11 silver medals, and 6 bronze medals.
Tertiary institutions which contested for the games included University of Cape Coast, the University of Education, (UEW) the University for Development Studies (UDS), and the University of Ghana (UG), University of Mines and Technology (UMAT), University for Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA), University of Energy and Natural Resources (UENR), University of Health and Allied Sciences (UHAS) among others.
University for Development Studies are expected to dominate the football team after annexing the competition and finishing second with a total of 13 gold, 11silver and 12 bronze. University of Ghana came third with 4 gold medals,9 silver and 9 bronze medals. University of Education Winneba came fourth with a gold medal and were followed closely by University of Energy and Natural Resources, University of Mines and Technology, University of Health and Allied Sciences and University for Professional Studies who recorded no gold medals.
Speaking at the closing ceremony, Professor Joseph Ampiah Ghartey, Vice Chancellor of the University of Cape Coast applauded the various institutions for exhibiting good sportsmanship during the games.
He also expressed delight with the level of talent on display adding that Local Organising Committee (LOC) did a great work with the organisation despite the short notice they had at their disposal.
“The LOC did a good job despite the short notice they had at their disposal”, Professor Ampiah Ghartey noted.
The GUSA flag was lowered and given to the University of Ghana which would be hosting the next GUSA games in 2020.
Ghana Universities Sports Association Technical team will soo determine when the camping for this summer's Universiade in Naples will begin. The World Universities games was initially scheduled for Brasília, which would have been the second time Brazil hosted the event, However, on December 23, 2014, it was confirmed that Brasília withdrew from hosting the event, citing financial problems. International University Sports Federation decided to reopen the bidding process after the withdrawal
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Hearts on penalties to reach finals
- Ghana 0-0 South Africa: Black Stars players rated
- Chelsea confirm departure of Maurizio Sarri to Juventus
- Pogba: I’m thinking of a new challenge
- Fury stops Schwarz in second round of heavyweight fight
- Hearts v Kotoko tactics: How Phobians can beat marginally superior Porcupines
- Colombia beat Messi's Argentina at Copa America
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss
- Multimedia secures radio rights for TOTAL AFCON2019 coverage