The Greater Accra Region Minister, Henry Quartey has directed the Police and other security personnel to close down all beaches from Ada to the coastal boundary with the Central Region indefinitely.
This is to ensure sustained compliance with all Covid-19 safety protocols especially during the Easter festivities.
“President Akufo-Addo has on several occasions in his address to the nation indicated the need to avoid going to pubs, night clubs and especially the beaches but people will not listen, so in collaboration with the Ministry of Interior and the IGP, I am sending a stern warning to all of you, on Friday Easter holiday please stay off the beaches, there would be heave security deployment all the way from Ada to the coastal boundary with the central region,” he said.
He also warned that those caught defying the directive will be arrested, fined, or prosecuted.
Mr Henry Quartey was speaking to JoyNews on the sidelines of a crunch closed-door meeting with former Regional Ministers to solicit their ideas on the ‘Let’s Make Accra Work’ project.
From bad road networks to poor drainage systems and finally the big one – filth, the project seeks to tackle key issues hampering growth in the capital.
“Accra is a cosmopolitan area and indeed challenges we encounter may not be the same compared to other regions but we need to make it work.
“After being sworn in by the President I began engaging stakeholders, I extended a hand to the Former Regional Ministers and members of the Council of State and the beauty of this stakeholders engagement is that persons I have engaged are from both sides of the political fraternity and so that strengthens the unity for us.”
He hinted at his intentions to constitute a regional consultative committee that will put together a working document for Accra.
“I intend to as a matter of urgency come up with a regional consultative committee, which will comprise of professionals just like cabinet. They will meet once or twice every month and begin to put together a working document for Accra and advise me on the right steps to take,” he said.
To address the issue of poor sanitation within the capital Mr Quartey said, “There would be operation clean your frontage coming up very soon and that we expect all and sundry on including corporate institutions to come on board.
“Like my boss, I am in a hurry but you will agree with me that I have to put some mechanisms in place, so very soon we will launch the ‘Let’s Make Accra Work’ document.”
- Social media reacts to how youth hooted at Akufo-Addo during concert
- NDC orchestrated the heckling of Akufo-Addo at Global Citizen Festival – NPP
- Apart from some senior players, no one is guaranteed a place – Andre Ayew on Ghana’s World Cup squad
- 23,495 Ghanaians test positive for HIV in 6 months
- Black Stars arrive to rousing welcome in Spain ahead of Nicaragua friendly
- Bagbin has not resigned from Ghana Bar Association – Dafeamekpor
- Frontiers Contract contains information we cannot disclose – Ghana Airports Company Ltd
- Ghana’s programme will focus heavily on debt sustainability – IMF
- Parliament approves fees for “access” to information
- ‘Stop the foolhardiness, Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival wasn’t orchestrated’ – Stan Dogbe tells NPP
- 14-year-old pregnant girl, 23 others rescued from being trafficked to Côte d’Ivoire
- Wa killings: 18 arrested so far
- I will choose Mahama over Akufo-Addo – Kumchacha
- Government begins second phase of discussions with IMF
- Halt the activities of Seven Seas salt company – Ketu South residents to government
- Livestream: PM Express discusses Ghana’s impending debt restructuring
- Ghana cannot avoid debt restructuring currently – Cassiel Ato Forson
- Super Clash: Asante Kotoko file complaint over officiating
- KCCR records zero cases of Covid-19 samples in 2 months
- Luv FM Habitat Fair: Republic Bank offers flexible mortgage packages for home ownership
- Stop abusing prednisolone for weight gain – Pharmaceutical Society of Ghana warns nursing mothers
- We won’t recognise Ghanaian doctors trained in war-hit Ukraine – Medical and Dental Council
- “I hope to play more matches and make the Black Stars successful” – Inaki Williams
- We must build on second half performance against Brazil – Inaki Williams
- Adwoa Boatemaa Adu-Poku wins CEEK Miss Ghana UK 2022