There has been an explosion during a suicide bomb attack close to the port of Somalia’s capital, Mogadishu.
“Metal debris fell all over us inside the port and we heard gunfire,” a witness is quoted by the Reuters news agency as saying.
“Security forces have surrounded the area.”
The blast happened at a checkpoint near the port.
“A suicide bomber tried to strike the police post in front of the port but the security forces shot him and the vehicle exploded,” police officer Abdukadir Ahmed is quoted by the AFP news agency as saying.
“Two police officers and five civilians were wounded,” he said.
The authorities have not made any formal statement on the number of casualties.
No group has said that they were behind the attack, but the African Union-backed government in Mogadishu has been fighting for control of the country with the Islamist militant group al-Shabab for more than a decade.
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Essipong: The Decaying Sports Stadium
- Fire burns Madina-Ritz junction again
- Gomoa Okyereko accident: Man narrates how his family of 6 survived horrific crash
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- Rampaging youth destroy property in Obuasi over detention of illegal miners
- Our African operations are profitable, contribute 50% to Group earnings says UBA Africa CEO
- David K. Awusi: Let’s stop the stigma to end adolescent pregnancy and reduce maternal mortality
- NYA urges youth in private sector to adopt modern trends of doing business
- Fixed investment to grow at a low 1.3% in 2023 – Fitch Solutions
- Canoe and Fishing Gear Owners Association of Ghana builds capacity of fisherfolks
- Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo passes on aged 81
- Trust Sports Emporium reiterates desire to support lesser-funded sports
- We’ll ensure Kpessa Whyte propagates integrity of the court – Law School Director
- MTN holds AGM, declares dividend of 12.4 pesewas per share
- Hohoe to host 44th NDC June 4 uprising anniversary
- NPP opens nomination for Assin North Constituency by-election
- President Tinubu tells Nigerians to stop panic-buying fuel
- Kwaku Antwi-Boasiako: Potholemics (The Economics of Potholes)