Audio By Carbonatix
Riot police fired warning shots into the air, used stun grenades and arrested more than 200 people to deter tens of thousands of Belarusians who marched through Minsk on Sunday to demand veteran leader Alexander Lukashenko leave power.
Mass demonstrations have flooded the capital for 12 straight weeks since a disputed election, ratcheting up pressure on the embattled leader of 26 years who rejects accusations the vote was rigged and says he has no intention of quitting.
This week Lukashenko partially closed the border to the west, replaced his interior minister and said that any protester who lays a hand on officers policing the protests should "at least leave without hands."
Tens of thousands of people swept through Minsk in at least two columns, the Nasha Niva newspaper reported. The Vesna-96 rights group published the names of 221 people who had been detained.

Senior police officials have threatened to use firearms against protesters if needed.
"The situation is really alarming and everyone's mood is tense," one protester who requested anonymity said by phone."
Police buses and equipment are constantly driving past the column. It feels like people are ready for any kind of escalation.
"A witness told Reuters that riot police used force to disperse marchers who had marched towards Kurapaty, a site on the outskirts of Minsk that is a memorial to victims of execution by Soviet secret police."
People got to a field near Kurapaty, (police) buses pulled up and chased after people at top speed, then they started throwing grenades.
What's more, they were throwing them into the thick of the crowd," the witness said by phone on condition of anonymity.
A man in civilian clothing chased a resident through a courtyard near one protest route firing a paintball gun at them in footage published by the RFE/RL media outlet.
Video posted on opposition social media showed a crowd of people chanting "We believe, we can, we will win!" while marching through the streets. The video footage could not independently be verified.
Mobile phone internet in the capital was unavailable and several metro stations were briefly closed down.
Latest Stories
-
CDSU marks milestones in Global Diplomatic Education and Institutional Evolution
2 minutes -
Of 5,000 hectares and 5,000 acres: The ‘small matter’ of land size for Petroleum Hub project
12 minutes -
Man killed in Bibiani-Asawinso galamsey clash, site owner arrested
18 minutes -
Lack of basic educational facilities threatens quality learning at Bueko School
19 minutes -
Over 16 NPP members arrested over social media commentary – Oppong Nkrumah alleges
22 minutes -
Mahama gov’t has failed faster than expected – Annoh-Dompreh fires at NDC
22 minutes -
Mining sector delivers over GH₵2bn in royalties for quarter one 2026 – MIIF
25 minutes -
Tamale Central MP begins borehole project to tackle water crisis
28 minutes -
Ashanti health authorities raise alarm over hypertension threat
31 minutes -
The Law Institute rebrands as Ghana’s hub for legal and compliance training
31 minutes -
Photos: President Mahama delivers keynote address at 79th World Health Assembly
31 minutes -
AMA denies forceful eviction claims over Makola market redevelopment
32 minutes -
AFCON 2027Q: Black Stars drawn in Group C, face Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia and Somalia
35 minutes -
VRA Academy targets engineering skills gap through ECREE Regional Training programme
37 minutes -
Africa poised to lead in global digital finance evolution – MTN Group CEO
45 minutes