Audio By Carbonatix
Former Minister for Agriculture and a flagbearer aspirant of the New Patriotic Party, Dr. Owusu Afriyie Akoto has expressed his satisfaction with the electoral process of the party's just-ended presidential primary.
In an interview with JoyNews, Dr Afriyie Akoto said he believes the election has been free and fair.
This, he stated is because “so far, my agents around the country have not reported anything negative."
He added, “My own checks going round here in Accra has shown that the system has worked very well and it has worked very smoothly and therefore the outcome should be accepted by all.”
Also read: https://www.myjoyonline.com/afriyie-akoto-concedes-to-bawumia-ive-called-to-congratulate-him/
The November 4 election is the direct opposite of what happened in the party’s Super Delegates Conference in August, which compelled the former Trades Minister to exit the party.
The Super Delegates Conference recorded pockets of violence and other incidents.
However, no case of violence has been recorded so far in Saturday’s primary.
Even though Dr Afriyie Akoto was disappointed that he did not win to lead the party, he thanked the delegates who cast their vote in his favour.
“...I really appreciate the delegates who stood by me and voted for me, it means that my message went down well with them but the party has decided and it means that other messages were all preferable to them, and therefore we all have to come together in unity to fight the NDC come next year,” he told Elton John Brobbey.
He also conceded defeat to Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia ahead of the official declaration of results.
According to him, he has already called the Vice President to congratulate him and assured him of his support to enable the NPP to 'break the 8.'
"First of all let me congratulate the Vice President for such an emphatic victory. It means the New Patriotic Party has spoken with a huge voice that we have chosen Dr Bawumia to lead us into the elections next year.
"I have already called him to congratulate him on that, and we will be meeting at the stadium for the official announcement and formalities, but finally we are drawing a line in a very major historic event for the party which is choosing our leader for the coming years."
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
54 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
1 hour -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
1 hour -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
1 hour -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
1 hour -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
1 hour -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
1 hour -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
1 hour -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
2 hours -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
2 hours -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
2 hours