Three people were killed in a stabbing attack in the Scottish city of Glasgow on Friday, British media reported on Friday, with police saying a suspect had been shot and an officer injured.
An eyewitness told Sky News she had seen several people covered in blood being treated by emergency services after an incident at a city centre hotel, and armed police on the scene, at around 1:15 p.m. (1215 GMT).
“It is believed three people have died after being stabbed in the stairwell of a hotel,” the BBC reported.
Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Steve Johnson said the incident had been contained and there was no wider risk to the public.
“Armed police officers attended the incident and I can confirm that a male suspect was shot by an armed officer,” he said.
“I would like to reassure the public that at this time we are not looking for anyone else in relation to this incident. I can also confirm that a police officer was injured while dealing with the incident, and that officer is receiving treatment in hospital.”
The Scottish Police Federation said the officer had been stabbed.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was “deeply saddened by the terrible incident in Glasgow”.
Last week, three people died in the southern English town of Reading when a man wielding a five-inch knife went on the rampage in a park. Police said they were treating that incident as terrorism.
- London Court throws out AG, others for sleeping on $170m case
- Mustapha Hamid appointed NPA boss
- Kennedy Agyapong cuts sod to construct 80-bed cardio centre at 37 Military Hospital
- 55% children considering a move abroad scary – CRI
- Private road transport operators to increase fares
- CID to investigate Power Purchasing Agreement that resulted in $170m judgment debt – AG
- Former Minister of Energy has caused $170m loss to the state – John Jinapor
- Alleged Coup Plot: High Court briefed about high-powered government delegation to first receive intel
- Gaddafi’s ‘Flying Palace’ returns home after nearly a decade
- Man drops dead after consuming full bottle of gin during competition
GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 30
Xavier-Sosu introduces bill to secure compensation for victims of unlawful arrest, detention or conviction
Message from the Morning Man: The Travelling Companion
Committee tasked to settle land dispute between La Traditional Council, Military completes work
Africa Education Watch justifies 2020 WASSCE report that revealed massive leakages, malpractices
Covid-19 Delta variant: Intensify testing system at airports – Dr Amuasi advises
Contribute your quota to national development – Youth-NREG boss urges youth at 2nd Anniversary
World Bank, IMF finalising work on Ghana’s Debt Sustainability Analysis
Police have no armed robbery evidence against siblings brandishing guns in viral social media video
Strengthen guidance and counselling unit in schools to help curb suicide thoughts – Lawyer Ankomah
6 arrested during anti-human trafficking operations
Help save forestry industry – Forestry Association
Man who shot friend over ¢5 debt charged with murder
Nutrition can’t wait because of Covid-19 pandemic – Nutrition International Country Director
AstraZeneca, Sputnik V vaccines potent against Covid-19 Delta variant – GHS reacts