Audio By Carbonatix
Kenyan telecommunications giant Safaricom has told the BBC that the current political and security situation in Ethiopia presents a risk to its investments in the country and that events will inform its future business decisions.
Safaricom, which is the largest and most profitable telecommunications provider in East and Central Africa, says it has evacuated staff and contractors a week after Ethiopia declared a state of emergency after the war that began in the northern Tigray region spread to other parts of the country.
The company’s CEO, Peter Ndegwa, is however optimistic services in Ethiopia - where it won a licence to provide mobile phone services earlier in the year - will be launched in mid-2022 once all infrastructure has been put in place.
A spot check by the BBC on Wednesday morning, found minimal activity at the company’s office in Addis Ababa, with all indications that the immediate future is uncertain.
Safaricom is also non-committal on the status of a $500m (ÂŁ369m) loan from the US Development Finance Corporation to back its Ethiopia investment.
The company leads a consortium which plans to invest $2bn (ÂŁ1.4bn) and employ about 1,000 people in the first five years of operation.
The US government has also in the recent past issued economic sanctions against Ethiopia, citing violation of human rights.
This included cancelling Ethiopia’s preferential trade agreement for duty-free exports to the US under the African Growth and Opportunity Act agreement (AGOA).
Ethiopian exported goods were worth $237m (ÂŁ175m) in 2020 alone.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t “over impressed” IMF with deep expenditure cut in 2025 – Prof Bokpin
11 minutes -
FDA intensifies checks on imported frozen chicken, meat and fish to boost food safety
24 minutes -
Policy rate at 14%: Middle East crisis is the elephant in the room – BoG boss
30 minutes -
Accra High Court grants GH¢100,000 bail to Abronye DC
34 minutes -
Policy rate held at 14% as Middle East Crisis clouds inflation outlook – BoG Governor
47 minutes -
Police launch manhunt for suspect in Sekondi for alleged defilement
50 minutes -
Arrests must continue until misconduct ceases – David Vondee
60 minutes -
WFP and partners assess impact of US-funded school feeding programme
1 hour -
Lastec Auto Centre: The man who sold his Mercedes to build a garage brand in Accra
2 hours -
Ghanaian start-ups can unlock €100K in non-dilutive funding + scaling support via develoPPP Ventures
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, May 21, 2026
2 hours -
UG Professor wins international lifetime achievement award for work on neglected tropical diseases
2 hours -
Prophet John Anokye urges Christians to combine faith with financial wisdom
2 hours -
Minister Sam George inspects ‘One Million Coders’ centres in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Legacy Expo 2026 set to mark a decade of impact in Africa’s beauty & wellness industry
3 hours