Audio By Carbonatix
The White House confirmed on Tuesday that the Trump administration is working on a deal that could see the US government taking a 10% stake in chip giant Intel.
"The president wants to put America's needs first, both from a national security and economic perspective," White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters.
The potential deal could involve swapping government grants for Intel shares, according to US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick.
The highly unusual move could help Intel as it struggles to compete with rivals like Nvidia, Samsung and TSMC, particularly in the booming artificial intelligence (AI) chip market. Intel has been contacted by the BBC for comment.
The US wants a stake Intel in exchange for grants approved during the Biden administration, Lutnick said on CNBC on Tuesday.
"We should get an equity stake for our money," he added. "We'll get equity in return for that... instead of just giving grants away."
The potential deal, which was first reported last week, aims to help Intel build a flagship manufacturing hub in the US state of Ohio. At the time, a White House spokesman told the BBC that the reports "should be regarded as speculation" unless officially announced.
Last week, Intel did not comment directly about reports but said it was "deeply committed to supporting President Trump's efforts" to strengthen manufacturing and technology in the US.
On Monday, Japanese investment giant Softbank said it would buy a $2bn (£1.5bn) stake in Intel, in a move that some analysts said is a sign of confidence in the firm's turnaround.
After that announcement,the firm's shares rose by almost 7% in New York on Tuesday.
Intel is one of the few US companies capable of producing high-end semiconductors at scale but the company has fallen behind global rivals.
The government potentially taking a stake in Intel reflects the firm's "unique position" as America's main producer of high-end chips domestically, said Dan Sheehan from Telos Wealth Advisors.
But political involvement could slow down decision making and shift priorities, adding challenges to an already tough turnaround for Intel, said Mr Sheehan.
Some other experts have expressed concerns over the potential deal and whether companies may be pressured to follow political agendas.
The developments came as the US chip industry is under intense scrutiny by the White House.
Last week, Nvidia and AMD agreed to pay the US government 15% of their Chinese revenues as part of an unprecedented deal to secure export licences to China.
Latest Stories
-
‘No better songwriter in Nigerian music industry than Simi’ – Adekunle Gold
16 minutes -
Why I wished for death in my 20s – Adekunle Gold
26 minutes -
Sierra Leone to take in hundreds of West Africans deported by US, minister says
35 minutes -
Comoros suspends fuel price hikes after deadly protests
47 minutes -
Gucci takes over Times Square for Cruise show as Kering eyes revival
59 minutes -
Oil prices rise after Trump warns ‘clock is ticking’ on Iran peace talks
1 hour -
Trump’s White House ballroom loses federal funding proposed by Senate Republicans
1 hour -
Forty-two pupils missing after Nigeria school attack, lawmaker says
2 hours -
Earthquake hits southwest China; thousands evacuate, buildings collapse
2 hours -
Tunisians protest against Saied over arrests and economic strain
2 hours -
Poor electricity in Nigeria affected my growth – Ayra Starr
2 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Aduana FC beat Young Apostles to end winless run
4 hours -
Hasaacas Ladies beat Army Ladies on penalties to win Women’s FA Cup
4 hours -
Rwandan genocide suspect Kabuga, 93, dies in custody
4 hours -
MTN Ghana marks 30 years with landmark anniversary launch in Accra
5 hours