Economic Fighters League member, Abeku Adams, has been nominated MTN Heroes of Change, a program that recognises selfless service.
Abeku Adams was nominated for his volunteering work at Akyen Senior High School in Ekumfi in the Central region. The region faces social problems such as child trafficking, high school drop-out rates and poverty.
But with education seen as an escape route, facilities at the school where Abeku Adams volunteered, suffered a lack of logistics – a library without books.
“It had book shelves but no books,” he found in 2015.
He was inspired to begin a social media campaign, ‘Book The Shelves’, asking for books and funds to buy them.
It worked. After several weeks, he raised enough money and got books to fill the shelves.
“We thought it was a miracle,” a student said after he walked into the library to find it full for the first time ever.
Abeku Adams said with the books project completed, he feels a burden to ensure they are maintained.
Abeku Adams also belongs to a left-wing group, Economic Fighters League, which protested Parliament’s controversial plan to build a new chamber.
He was part of ‘Fighters’ who entered Parliament and screamed ‘drop that chamber’. He was arrested along with their leader, Ernesto Yeboah.
They were released later and plans to build the new Parliament shelved.
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: I am here for Ghanaians, not NPP or NDC – Stonebwoy
- GPL 2023/24: Hearts of Oak beat 10-man Nsoatreman; Aduana beat Medeama
- Ghanaian youngster Raymond Anokye Asante scores in back-to-back games after injury return
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw
- Playback: The Law discusses how to avoid contempt of court
- D-Black’s TV show, Uncut, hits the screens in November
- Leaked tape scandal: Supt. George Asare invites 3 witnesses to testify against IGP
- Radio Ada journalist on trial over publication of fake news about McDan is dead
- Kwame Dadzie: Our celebrities should stage ‘demo’ on creative arts matters too