Audio By Carbonatix
General Secretary of the Ghana Private Transport Union (GPRTU) Godfred Abulbire says they are ready to engage with the Ministry of Roads in addressing the proposed transport fare increment.
This is despite the Union's commitment to implementing a 20% upward adjustment.
Abulbire spoke on the AM Show in response to the public outcry that greeted the announcement of charging more for transport.
"So going out there is not out of place. So, I think that when they call and give us a date like the minister mentioned, we will go there and discuss it," he said on JoyNews.
Also on the show on Thursday was the Public Relations Officer of the National Concerned Drivers Association, David Agboado.
Mr Agboado argued that the Ministry of Transport, as the regulatory authority for the transport sector, should take the lead rather than expecting transport unions to approach them.
- Read also: Let’s have a conversation – Transport Ministry to transport operators over fare hike proposal
He highlighted that the unions had communicated the possibility of a price increase since October or November last year, indicating that the ministry could have initiated discussions to resolve transport-related issues.
"Would they also call for us to sit because we are running at a loss, as I said already, so it is not always that we should come to them. They also have to prompt us so that we will be hand in hand, not at the loggerhead, before sitting down. No, we should all cooperate and coexist.”
Meanwhile, Transport Deputy Minister, Alhassan Tampuli Sulemana urged all parties involved to continue with the discussion to come to a logical conclusion.
"So, this is just the tip of the iceberg, so sometimes it gets very heated in our meetings, but at the end of the day, we can come to a compromise. I believe on this occasion it would not be any different from what has happened in the past.”
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
1 hour -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
1 hour -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
2 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
3 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
4 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
5 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
5 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
6 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
7 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
7 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
7 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
7 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
7 hours