Audio By Carbonatix
A woman who is accused of bolting with “susu” money totalling GH¢156,445 has appeared before an Accra Circuit Court.
Martha Nana Esi Afful is alleged to have collected the money from 35 complainants.
Charged with 35 counts of fraudulent breach of trust, Martha, who had been remanded earlier, pleaded not guilty.
The court, presided over by Mr Joseph Y. Kuunsong on Wednesday, has admitted the accused person to bail in the sum of GH¢200,000 with two sureties.
One of the sureties, the court said, must be a public servant earning at least GH¢5,000.
She is expected to reappear on August 12, 2026.
The Prosecution’s case before the court is that the complainants are traders and residents at La in Accra.
The prosecution described Martha as a self-styled “Susu” collector who resided at Burma Camp.
The court heard that the accused person ran a business named “ZOE” and deceived the 35 complainants into believing that she collected “susu” daily, which was kept for one to three years, and paid interest on the money invested.
The complainants contributed in 2023 for a three-year period, the prosecution said.
In December 2025, when the complainants went to collect their money with interest, Martha went into hiding and only took phone calls from a few of them.
The prosecution said the accused provided an MTN MoMo number through which a few of the complainants still paid monies.
It said all efforts to collect the money, totalling GH¢156,445, from her proved futile.
On June 14, 2026, a report was made to the police, and Martha was picked up by them at a washing bay in Tse Addo.
During interrogation, she admitted the offence in her caution statement, stating that she lost her husband and relocated to Swedru in the Central Region; hence, the complainants were unable to reach her from December 2025 to date.
The prosecution said Martha further stated that she had invested the monies in a refuse-collection business and needed time to pay the amount.
Police are investigating the claims.
Latest Stories
-
NPP must heal and rebuild after 2024 defeat to win 2028 election – Former Volta Regional Organiser of the NPP
15 minutes -
Egypt to host Africa’s premier business forum
17 minutes -
The bicycle principle: why continuity matters more than balance
26 minutes -
Fire guts three-storey building near Manhyia Palace in Kumasi
33 minutes -
Bank of Africa Ghana appoints Ellis Erasmus Katwebaze as Deputy Managing Director
33 minutes -
Adamus Resources challenges revocation of mining leases, says it was not notified of breaches
42 minutes -
Mineworkers petition Finance Minister over GH¢380m locked-up funds, threaten strikes
44 minutes -
Mental Health Authority takes steps to shut down illegal Kumasi spiritual centre housing 2,000 patients
59 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: St. Hubert Sem edge Bright SHS in three-point thriller to book one-eighth spot
1 hour -
Association of Medical Councils of Africa to host 28th annual conference at Mövenpick Ambassador Hotel
1 hour -
ECG’s GH¢200m upgrade spending must translate into reliable power – IES
1 hour -
Ablekuma North MP supports 500 SHS freshmen with back-to-school items
1 hour -
Dentsu School of Influence opens Ghana applications for aspiring content creators
1 hour -
Demystifying Mathematics: Building confidence in young learners
1 hour -
Journalists must strengthen credibility in digital era – Kwesi Pratt urges
1 hour