An Ohio woman is opening up about how her relationship with her ex-boyfriend’s father has hurt some of the people closest to her.
Sydney Dean was just 11 years old and a sixth grade student when she met Paul. But, years on, the two are now claiming to be in love.
After Sydney, now 27, and her boyfriend broke up, they remained friends, and she often found herself spending more time at her ex’s home during the weekends.
When Paul’s son got a girlfriend during his teen years, Sydney felt like she was the third wheel and would often spend time talking with Paul instead.
The two began to form a spark of connection, and they started dating when Sydney turned 16, the legal age of consent in Ohio.
“I never expected to fall in love with Paul, and we met in a non-traditional way, but I’m so happy I did,” Sydney said when talking about Paul.
Sydney and Paul got married in 2016.
Despite their marriage, their road to love has not been without its highs and lows — the duo spent years convincing their families they were the real deal.
“My mum already knew who Paul was,” Sydney said, “and from the few times they have talked, they got along just fine.”
When Sydney spoke to her mother about the age gap, she said her mother was unhappy.
For a year, Sydney’s mother would get on her daughter’s case about the age gap between her and Paul, 51.
“The age gap really got to her, and it stayed that way for about a year – eventually, she came around,” Sydney said.
“[After this], we would go to her house almost every weekend just to hang out or have a BBQ,” Sydney added, adding that her mother supports her daughter’s marriage now.
Her father was that same, but he eventually came around and she said he now likes Paul.
Sydney understands the strangeness of the age gap and shared her story about one friend who found her and Paul’s age difference a bit too much for them.
“This friend would never want to come hang out or even talk to me much at all if he was around,” she said.
Eventually, her friend no longer wanted to speak to her because the age difference was just too strange.
Sydney hopes that by sharing her story, she can show that an age difference is normal.
She said she wishes people would understand that couples with an age gap can love one another despite the age difference.
“There are a lot of negative assumptions about age gap relationships, but that doesn’t mean couples can’t be in it for the right reasons,” she said.
“He is the best husband I could have asked for, and he treats me so great.”
- I won’t think twice about a Ghana call-up – Salis Abdul Samed
- Asantehene insists chiefs cannot be blamed for galamsey activities
- ‘My husband either reaches Europe or dies at sea’
- ‘The empty headedness of the youth was good enough to vote you into power’ – Senyo Hosi to KT Hammond
- The activities of Chairman Wontumi’s mining firm are illegal – John Jinapor
- Burkina Faso unrest: Military officers remove leader Damiba
- ECG extends weekend working hours due to vending challenges
- Galamsey fight: DCEs must get fired – John Awuah
- We do not deploy soldiers to provide security for mining firms – Armed Forces
- King Charles and late Queen will both feature on new 50p coins
- Arsenal beat Tottenham to go four points clear
- Aubameyang scores as Potter gets first Chelsea win
- Faisal Chibsah: From starting coaching career as volunteer to heading FIFA High-Performance specialist role for Africa
- Genser deal: We’re developing a Trojan horse to cannibalise all state enterprises in the energy sector – Ben Boakye
- Policymakers must ensure Ghana does not return to current economic situation – Dr. Twumasi-Baffuor
- Let the public know your innovations – Dr. Addo Kufuor charges tertiary institutions
- Over 1000 shops flooded at Kumasi Central Market; traders blame Contracta for the mess
- Orange Corners Ghana celebrates graduation of 45 entrepreneurs
- UT’s loans in less than 48 hours saved many businesses from collapse – Amoabeng
- Medical Laboratory Workers’ Union to hold AGM
- Spotlight on Ghana – Cuba bilateral relations
- PBC Ltd CEO, Richard Akuoko Adiyiah dead
- I bought an iPhone at Circle but went home to find a Nokia – Comedian Jacinta
- There is evidence to show some NPP top officials are into illegal mining – John Jinapor
- Luv Fm-DBS-Republic Bank Habitat Fair kicks off in Kumasi