Oliveira, who is a tour guide in Sal, Cape Verde, is fairly used to the mistaken identity by now. “Ever since Barack Obama was made president I have had people stopping me to tell me I look like him, so it has been happening for almost 10 years now,” he said. “Some people even ask me if I am his brother.”
Because of his job, Oliveira is constantly meeting new people, but the recognition and picture opportunities don’t bother him in the least.
“I work as a tour guide so I am always meeting new people and their reaction is always the same. As soon as they see me they say: ‘Oh my God, you look just like Obama!’” he explained. “I find it very funny and I don’t mind posing for photographs with people. I have at least 15 photographs and selfies taken every day.”
Oliveira is flattered by the comparisons not only because “President Obama is a good man” but also because “it is also good for business.”
As to whether or not Oliveira would take his impression professionally, he said, “I have never thought about working as an Obama lookalike before, but maybe I would if given the opportunity. If it was an honest and respectful job that allowed me to support my family I would think about it.”
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Theresa May to face leadership challenge
- Senior citizens arrested after 'large amount of cocaine' found stashed on cruise ship
- Mozambique busts '30,000 ghost workers'
- Two nuns admit embezzling cash for Vegas gambling trips
- Thousands walk on Ethiopia Car Free Day
- Macron to hold protest crisis meeting
- Gabon's Bongo suffered a stroke - Vice President
- Kenya's president hires 91-year-old to secure youth sports fund
- Sudan helicopter crash kills officials
- Togo: child shot, killed during clashes between protesters, security forces
- William Barr nominated by Donald Trump to be US attorney general
- South Africa mob kills suspected arsonist
- If US builds missiles, so will we – Putin
- Liberia electricity crisis: 'About 60% of power stolen'
- British PM suffers setbacks as Brexit debate starts in parliament