At least 29 people are now known to have died after a cruise boat carrying party revellers capsized on Lake Victoria, Ugandan police say.
The vessel was carrying close to 100 people when it sank on Saturday near Uganda's capital, Kampala.
Ugandan media named a number of well-known people said to be on the boat, adding that the prince of a traditional kingdom had survived
Lake Victoria sees regular accidents, often involving overcrowded vessels.
Scores of people died when a ferry sank on the lake off Tanzania in September.
Saturday's accident occurred off Uganda's Mukono district.
Deputy police spokesman Patrick Onyango told Reuters news agency: "The boat was overloaded and secondly there was bad weather."
More than 20 people have been rescued from the water, police say, but an unknown number remain missing.
Among those rescued was Prince Daudi Kintu Wasajja, a brother of the king of Uganda's largest traditional kingdom, Buganda.
Ugandan media said musical artist Iryn Namubiru also survived.
A number of other popular artists and socialites were believed to be on board.
The boat was reportedly hired out for weekend parties.
Many of those on board had no lifejackets.
Local officials said two small fishing boats that came to the rescue also became overloaded and sank.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Sudan crisis: Internet restored - but only for lawyer
- Woman wakes up alone on dark, parked plane
- Jihadists kill 7 Chadian soldiers, local guard in ambush
- Man ordered to compensate ex-wife for 27 years of house chores
- US 'launched cyber-attack on Iran weapons systems'
- Ethiopia army chief shot dead in 'coup bid' attacks
- Ugandan activist to be prosecuted over president's mother
- Harry and Meghan split from William and Kate joint charity
- Gunmen kill dozens in 'terrorist' Mali attack
- Biden refuses to apologise for working with racist senators
- Nigeria condemns attack on its embassy in London
- Slavery reparations hearing ignites fiery debate in Congress
- $22,000 zoo funds stolen by robbers not eaten by gorilla - Nigeria governor
- South African MP punches man during alleged racist incident
- Jamal Khashoggi killing: Saudi crown prince 'should face investigation' - UN