Zambia’s President Edgar Lungu has dismissed Health Minister, Chitalu Chilufya, who was arrested in June for corruption but was later cleared.
Mr Chilufya was charged with four counts of being in possession of property reasonably suspected to be proceeds of crime. He was cleared for lack of evidence and resumed his duties.
President Lungu on Sunday gave no reason for the minister’s dismissal but said the decision took effect immediately.
Fellow Citizens,— Edgar Chagwa Lungu (@EdgarCLungu) January 10, 2021
I have terminated the appointment of Hon. Dr Chitalu Chilufya as Minister of Health with immediate effect.
To this effect, I have transferred Hon Dr. Jonas Kamima Chanda, MP Bwana Mkubwa, to the Ministry of Health. pic.twitter.com/RCYW0lFzZV
The BBC’s Kennedy Gondwe reports that the health ministry has been rocked by a string of corruption allegations, the latest being the supply of $17m (£12m) worth of faulty condoms and surgical gloves.
Opposition leader Hakainde Hichilema said, “the sacking of Dr Chitalu Chilufya does not go far enough and comes in too little too late”.
- 3 ECG employees charged for stealing ¢2.1m prepaid credits
- Yul Edochie and wife May lose first son
- No one from Ghana’s film industry approached me while I was here – Spike Lee
- Martin Amidu on Anas: ‘Genuine anti-corruption crusaders don’t hide behind masks’
- Power outages imminent as Ghana Gas shuts down Atuabo gas processing plant from April 1
- Davido confirms he’s married to Chioma
- Parliamentary committee recommends passage of controversial Anti-LGBTQ bill
- Ambulance case: Court orders Ato Forson to open defence
- Political appointees at Presidency increases to 361
- Ashanti NDC refutes allegations of wearing military uniforms on campaign tour
- Beige Bank collapse: Witness accuses Nyinaku of taking bank’s US$200,000 illegally
- Green Sports Academy wishes Isaac Dogboe well ahead of WBO featherweight title fight
- Dogboe v Ramirez – Dogboe’ s trainer chasing history
- Donald Trump indictment: Ex-US president to be charged over hush money
- WMO retires deadly cyclone Fiona and Ian from list of names
- 5 member committee investigating Kejetia Market fire starts with fact-finding mission
- UBA Ghana holds first quarter ‘Jogging To Bond’
- Playback: PM Express discuss how to restore capital market after DDEP
- Kuami Eugene offers budding musicians tips for Joy Prime’s ‘Cues & Lyrics’ audition
- Mercy Chinwo threatens musician with ₦2bn lawsuit after he used her name in song
- Mastercard Foundation Health Collaborative allocates $1 million for prospective entrepreneurs
- We’ll pay outstanding debt despite inheriting it – Electrochem
- Lawyer for Jonathan Majors shares alleged texts from woman involved in actor’s assault arrest
- Inaki is not scoring for Ghana because he plays with a No.10 who loves to score – Ignatius Osei Fosu
- Desist from gifting out cedi bouquets, hampers; it is illegal – BoG warns