Switzerland picked up all three points in the 2022 World Cup Group G opener against Cameroon on Thursday, November 24.
A well-taken goal from Breel Embolo was enough to seal the victory for the Swiss as Cameroon became the fourth African to fail to score at the tournament.
Cameroon should have taken the lead in the opening 45 minutes of the game after being presented with a plethora of opportunities.
However, Rigobert Song’s men were unable to take the chances that came their way as both teams went into the break with no goal separating them.
Following the return from recess, Embolo, who was born in Cameroon, but plays for Switzerland, scored to open the scoring at the Al Janoub Stadium.
Despite attempts to stage a late comeback, the Indomitable Lions were far from getting on level terms.
The game ended 1-0 with Cameroon becoming the second African country to suffer defeat in the first round of the fixtures at the World Cup.
- Paa Kwesi Schandorf: 5 things Otto Addo must fix after our game with South Korea
- Ashanti NSS boss insults nurse for correcting his daughter’s wrong medical prescription
- MTN Ghana to deactivate over 5.7 million subscribers SIM cards
- Government still wasteful but imposes austerity on Ghanaians – Joe Jackson
- Fire destroys shops at Kantamanto market
- That is not my style – Ashanti Regional NSS boss apologises for insulting nurses
- Fentuo Tahiru Fentuo: The day Kudus shone, in Jordan’s shadow
- Ex-Black Stars midfielder Sulley Muntari retires, age 38
- ‘Mr and Mrs Adeleke’: Fans gush over photos of Chioma with Davido and her in-laws during 1st public appearance
- World Bank concerned about Ghana becoming more reliant on natural resource extraction
- Motorists, residents outraged over poor state of Olebu roads
- Government urged to increase school feeding grant per child from GH₵ 1.00 to GH₵5.00
- Black Stars Playbook: Ghana 3-2 South Korea; why Ghana struggled in the wide areas
- 2022 World Cup: Koulibaly powers Senegal to last 16 after win over Ecuador
- NSS summons Ashanti boss for investigation
- Play Soccer Ghana commemorates Global Peace Games 2022
- State Prosecutors call Manasseh Azure Awuni as first witness in trial of former PPA boss
- Why NGOs should embrace digitisation of payments and collections
- ‘You’ll see, more is coming from my boy’ – Andre Ayew on Kudus’ future
- Amassing wealth as a politician is wickedness – Executive Director of CNIR
- Qatar 2022: You risk going to jail if you resell match tickets – Sports Minister warns Ghana supporters
- Kantamanto market fire: we need stakeholder engagement to provide affordable microinsurance – Insurance Brokers Association
- South Sudan urged to prosecute top officials linked to rape
- Sack Ashanti Region NSS boss; he is unfit to be director in public service – GRNMA tells government
- Cardinal Baawobr was a champion for the poor – Wa Catholic Diocese