Audio By Carbonatix
A 25-year-old man has drowned in an abandoned illegal mining (galamsey) pit at Bogyawe in the Bekwai Municipal area of the Ashanti Region.
The incident occurred on Wednesday, January 7, when the victim reportedly entered the pit but failed to resurface.
As of four to five hours after the incident, residents said the body had still not been retrieved from the water-filled pit, as rescue efforts continued.
Community members say the pit was abandoned by illegal miners and left uncovered, turning it into a death trap, especially during the rainy season when such pits easily fill with water.
Residents told Adom News that this is not an isolated case, alleging that at least two similar drowning incidents have previously occurred in the area under comparable circumstances.
They are calling on authorities, particularly the Minerals Commission, Environmental Protection Agency and local government officials, to take urgent action to reclaim abandoned galamsey sites and compel miners to properly reclaim degraded lands to prevent further loss of life.
Police have been informed of the incident, and investigations are expected to commence once the body is retrieved.
Latest Stories
-
Court documents filed by Joana Quaye challenge RNAQ’s ‘sole founder’ claim over Quick Credit
17 seconds -
John Boadu declares bid for NPP National Chairmanship after meeting Minority Caucus
11 minutes -
Ghana Immigration Service trains 40 officers ahead of E-Visa rollout
35 minutes -
MPC maintains policy rate at 14.0% after 130th meeting
37 minutes -
Sierra Leone receives first group of West African deportees from US
56 minutes -
Meta CEO tells employees he does not expect more company-wide layoffs this year
1 hour -
Police officers who guarded Capitol sue to block Trump’s $1.8 billion ‘slush fund’
1 hour -
AETC President advocates energy and technology integration for a united Africa at 2026 conference
1 hour -
ISODEC rejects Ghana’s IMF PCI request, pushes for alternative economic strategy
1 hour -
Wontumi Trial: Ex Deputy Lands Minister says concessionaires were encouraged to reclaim degraded mining lands
1 hour -
Parliament resumes tomorrow with major legislative agenda on governance, sector reforms
1 hour -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll continues to rise, WHO warns
1 hour -
Counsellors urge trauma victims to break silence and pursue healing
2 hours -
GNFS contains midnight shop fire at Effiduase in Eastern Region
2 hours -
AG closes case in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ trial
2 hours