Audio By Carbonatix
Deputy Lands and Natural Resources Minister, Benito Owusu-Bio, has announced that 31 housing units comprising 110 rooms will be ready for displaced residents of the Appiatse community by May 1, 2022.
He said the construction works are being expedited to ensure they meet the new timeline as scheduled.
He made this known after visiting the area for the first time since the residents were re-displaced by a heavy rainstorm last Friday.
The torrential rains accompanied by strong winds demolished parts of the makeshift settlement used by families whose houses were destroyed by the recent explosion.
Some of the affected residents said the recent development is another threat to the health and safety of women and children at the Camp, adding that it would compound their trauma.
The re-displaced persons will have to bear with the harsh weather conditions for at least another two weeks as the Lands and Natural Resources Ministry works against time to roof some temporary living space for them.
According to Benito Owusu-Bio, the Ministry anticipated the rains, a reason the resettlement process is being fast-tracked.

"The 31 houses, which were leased to them by a mining company in the area, will help to lessen the plights of the people," he added.
“The rain also caused a lot of challenges to them. The Appiatse reconstruction implementation team had planned ahead because we foresaw something like this happening during the course of our work. We knew that it wouldn’t be possible for us to be able to completely have buildings for them before the rains set in.

“So, we’ve been in touch with FGR, which is the mining company at Bogoso and they have agreed for us to use their resettlement project that they were doing for the people of Odumase. As we can see, carpenters are busily working.
‘Our first priority is to make sure that the people of Appiatse will not be at the mercy of the rain,” he noted.

Currently, immediate interventions like the replacement of the destroyed tents and the provision of warmers are being organised and distributed to the people.
This is being done in collaboration with the Natural Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO).
Meanwhile, Mr Owusu-Bio had earlier stated that the reconstruction of the Community will commence on May 15, 2022.
He said in a media engagement that the contractors and designs for the reconstruction will be made known in two weeks.
According to him, the stipulated time is also to allow the Ministry of Roads and Highways to do their road layouts.
“Within two weeks, we will be able to have selected whoever will be constructing the building and the designs. Within the stipulated time, the Ministry of Roads would have been there to do their road layouts. That is a big step, without which we can’t proceed. We can do many things concurrently. We will also be able to give proper estimates.”
“Hopefully, by May 15, we should have commenced rebuilding the community.”
What happened?
About 13 people were killed, with 179 others were injured in an explosion that occurred in the town on Thursday, January 20, 2022.
The explosion is said to have been caused by a collision between a vehicle transporting explosives to a mining site and a tricycle.
The truck involved in the explosion was heading to Chirano Gold Mines.
According to the mining company, the truck belongs to Maxam Ghana Limited, a mining services contractor.
Through the Lands and Natural Resources Ministry, the government imposed a fine of $1million on Maxam Ghana Limited. The company offered additional $5million for resettlement of the victims.
Latest Stories
-
Modern, Vertical, Visionary: PUNA officially launched in Accra
7 seconds -
Bishop Joel Duncan-Williams pays courtesy call on Central Regional Minister during evangelical visit to UCC
55 seconds -
Mother of Alexei Navalny says poison finding confirms he was murdered
17 minutes -
Gov’t approves cabinet directives following review of over 8,000 land leases nationwide
18 minutes -
In an uncertain trade landscape, cooperation still delivers
21 minutes -
7 Ghanaian traders killed in Titao terrorist attack buried in Burkina Faso
31 minutes -
Northern teachers protest ‘fake appointment’ claims
36 minutes -
Greater Accra Regional Minister hasn’t sanctioned any selective demolitions of billboards – GARCC replies AAG
38 minutes -
UniMAC-Journalism and Media Students Association (JOMSA) launched
48 minutes -
MTN and CalBank collect 7,020 pints of blood in ‘Save a life’ drive
50 minutes -
Ken Agyapong’s camp denies breakaway party claims
55 minutes -
Photos: Mahama commissions new Ghana embassy chancery in Addis Ababa
56 minutes -
UniMAC committed to producing ethically grounded, socially responsible journalists – Dean
59 minutes -
Patrick Boamah casts doubts over gov’t’s plan to extradite a Russian suspect in sexual exploitation saga
1 hour -
Advocacy group pledges to pursue cases of wrongful convictions
1 hour
