Audio By Carbonatix
President John Mahama has announced that contractors who abandoned road projects across the country will soon return to their sites, following the conclusion of an audit by the Auditor-General into contracts awarded under the previous administration.
The announcement was made on Sunday during the President’s Eastern Regional "Thank You" Tour at Jackson Park in Koforidua, where he addressed party supporters and traditional leaders.
Highlighting the significance of his administration’s Big Push Agenda, a bold infrastructure development initiative, President Mahama said the government is determined to restart and complete key road projects that had been stalled due to financial and contractual irregularities.
“The Auditor-General has come with his report. So we are going to make the contractors go back to the site,” he said, adding that “those who had double payments will be punished.”
The President emphasized that proper oversight and accountability would guide the next phase of implementation, as the government seeks to accelerate infrastructure delivery without tolerating corruption or inefficiency.
In his remarks, the President of the Eastern Regional House of Chiefs, Nene Sakite II, commended Mahama for what he described as a strong and promising start to his presidency within the first 120 days in office.
“As the saying goes, good is not good enough where better is possible. Your leadership must now build on this momentum to bring sustainable development, hope, and prosperity to all Ghanaians,” Nene Sakite noted.
He also pledged the continued support of traditional leaders in the fight against illegal mining (galamsey) and urged the President to sustain the campaign to protect Ghana’s environment and water bodies.
The return of contractors is expected to boost road connectivity and ease transportation challenges across various parts of the country, a move likely to impact economic activity and access to services in underserved communities.
Latest Stories
-
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
34 minutes -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
1 hour -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
2 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
2 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
2 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
4 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
4 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
4 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
4 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
5 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
5 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
5 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
5 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
6 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
6 hours