Audio By Carbonatix
Cinemas in South Africa will not be showing the documentary about the US First Lady, Melania Trump, which is scheduled for worldwide release on Friday.
The South African distributor Filmfinity has decided not to release it, its head of sales and marketing told the New York Times and South Africa-based website News24. The company was not explicit about the reasons behind the move.
The film Melania is not promoted on the websites of the country's major cinema chains. One Cape Town independent cinema contacted by the BBC said it had been called by Filmfinity and told not to list it.
Relations between the US and South Africa have seriously deteriorated over the past year.
Amazon has reportedly paid $35m (£25m) to market the film, which follows Melania Trump in the 20 days leading up to her husband's second inauguration on 20 January last year.
It is also believed that Amazon paid approximately $40m for the film rights.
"Based on recent developments, we've taken the decision not to go ahead with a theatrical release in the territory," Filmfinity's Thobashan Govindarajulu is quoted as saying by the New York Times.
He told News24 that the decision had been taken "given the current climate".
The executive did not elaborate on what he meant by "recent developments" or "current climate".
Attempts by the BBC to get a comment from Filmfinity, which describes itself as the leading film distributor in southern Africa, have so far been unsuccessful.
But contacting the independent Labia cinema in Cape Town, the BBC was told that it was called by Filmfinity, who said that the film would not be playing.
Show times for Melania are not listed on the websites of South Africa's two main cinema chains, Ster Kinekor and Nu Metro.
Ster Kinekor's publicity page for Melania is not accessible.
Nu Metro trailed the film on its Instagram account a fortnight ago. Its website's Melania page still exists, but does not list any show times - unlike the page for the drama Hamnet, which is also released in South Africa on Friday.
Since Donald Trump took office a year ago, US relations with South Africa have deteriorated.
He has been promoting the widely discredited idea that there is a "white genocide" against South Africa's Afrikaner community. Last May, Trump confronted South African counterpart Cyril Ramaphosa over the issue in a tense White House meeting.
The president has also imposed high tariffs on South African goods and cut aid programmes.
His anger was also partly fuelled by Pretoria's role in bringing a case against Israel to the International Court of Justice (ICJ).
The US ally has strongly rejected the allegation of genocide against Palestinians in Gaza as "baseless".
Latest Stories
-
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
3 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
7 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
13 minutes -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
22 minutes -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
28 minutes -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
31 minutes -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
38 minutes -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
45 minutes -
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
1 hour -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
1 hour -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
1 hour -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
1 hour -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
1 hour -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
1 hour -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
1 hour