Audio By Carbonatix
Verified pictures show that a US command and control aircraft has been destroyed at an air base in Saudi Arabia.
The pictures appear to have been first shared by a Facebook page carrying US military news. They show the E-3 Sentry aircraft appears to have been split in two.
We've confirmed the photos were taken at Prince Sultan Air Base, about 100km (62 miles) south-east of the Saudi capital, Riyadh. Features seen in the pictures, including pylons, storage units and markings on paved areas, matched with satellite imagery.
US Central Command has not yet publicly commented on the incident. The BBC has asked for comment.
On Friday, a US official told Reuters that 12 US personnel had been wounded, two of them seriously, in an Iranian military attack on the air base. The Wall Street Journal newspaper reported that at least two US refuelling aircraft were also damaged.
On Sunday, Iran's IRGC-linked Fars news agency said a Shahed drone had struck the E-3 aircraft.
BBC Verify has also seen an E-3 in this location in a satellite image captured on 11 March. We cannot say if they are the same aircraft.
In one of the verified pictures, the aircraft's tail number is visible. Using this we checked flight-tracking site Flightradar24 which showed it was airborne near the base on 18 March.
A satellite image taken on Friday appears to show a fire on the air base apron, about 1,600m (5,200ft) east of the E-3. It is not clear whether this was part of the same attack in which the aircraft seen in these pictures was damaged.

The Boeing E-3 AWACS - the acronym stands for Airborne Warning and Control System - is based on a Boeing 707 airliner and has a distinctive rotating radar disc mounted on the rear of its fuselage.
This radar allows it to detect and track potential targets at long ranges, providing early warning of possible threats during combat operations.
The aircraft gives "information for commanders of air operations to gain and maintain control of the air battle", according to the USAF website.
The first of the type entered service in 1977, and it has been reported that the E-3 is expected to remain operational with the USAF until 2035.
Latest Stories
-
Know when to wait, verify and publish – GJA President tells journalist
15 minutes -
“If you think I’m a nobody, so be it” – Presidential aide responds after Disability Graduates reject petition handover
41 minutes -
Rotary Club of Accra Ridge gets new president, vows to create lasting impact
45 minutes -
GJA@77: Free press necessity for nation-building, not luxury – UNESCO Representative
45 minutes -
‘No disrespect to Dr Ayeh but we demand engagement with senior government official’ – Graduates with disabilities
47 minutes -
We can’t defend journalism’s credibility if journalists don’t uphold professional standards – GJA
54 minutes -
Ghana’s Roads of Sorrow: Tankers, dump trucks, and trailers on the country’s deadliest corridors
1 hour -
Beyond the Concert: What BHIM festival London reveals about Ghana’s cultural diplomacy and soft power
1 hour -
Technology must serve journalism, not destroy public trust – GJA President
1 hour -
From Ghana to Wembley: The production story behind Stonebwoy’s BHIM festival London
1 hour -
GJA @77: A nation without credible journalism is walking in the dark – GJA Vice President
1 hour -
Over 500 attend National Mining Dialogue 2026 organised by Asempa FM
2 hours -
State of the downstream: A quarterly briefing on Ghana’s downstream petroleum sector
2 hours -
Hijab-wearing Muslim woman reportedly attacked in north London
2 hours -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leading Organisational Transformation
2 hours