Rapper A$AP Rocky has been charged with assault with a firearm in connection with a shooting in Hollywood last year.
The star, whose real name is Rakim Mayers, is alleged to have pointed the gun at a former friend during an argument in November.
Prosecutors say he later fired the weapon twice in the direction of the victim, who sustained a minor injury.
The 33-year-old, who has had two US number one albums, could face up to nine years in prison if found guilty.
The rapper, who had a baby with singer Rihanna in May, is due to appear in court on Wednesday to answer two charges of assault with a semi-automatic firearm with allegations of personally using a firearm.
His lawyer had no immediate comment on the charges.
Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón said: “Discharging a gun in a public place is a serious offence that could have ended with tragic consequences, not only for the person targeted but also for innocent bystanders visiting Hollywood.
“My office conducted a thorough review of the evidence in this case and determined that the addition of a special firearm allegation was warranted.”
News of the shooting broke in April when the star was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport as he returned from a holiday with Rihanna. He was released three hours later after posting bail of $550,000 (£421,000).
Police found multiple firearms at Mr Mayers’ home while serving a search warrant following his arrest.
Terell Ephron, who is part of the A$AP Mob hip-hop collective, identified himself as the victim and sued his former friend last week, alleging assault and battery, negligence and emotional distress.
Mr Ephron, also known as A$AP Relli, alleged that Mr Mayers had “lured” him to an obscure location in Hollywood to discuss a disagreement.
The lawsuit claims that, after a verbal altercation, Mr Mayers “pulled out a handgun and purposefully pointed it in the direction of [Mr Ephron] and fired multiple shots”.
Mr Ephron was “struck by bullet projectile/fragments” in his left hand and required medical attention, according to the court papers. He is seeking at least $25,000 (£20,750) in damages.
Mr Mayers was previously given a two-year suspended sentence for his role in a brawl in Stockholm in August 2019.
As A$AP Rocky, he was one of the biggest breakout stars of the 2010s, earning eight platinum singles in the US including Wild For The Night, Everyday, LSD and A$AP Forever.
He rose to fame after being championed by Drake, and has worked with artists including Alicia Keys, Lana Del Rey, Skepta, Selena Gomez and Kendrick Lamar.
Last year, he confirmed he was in a relationship with Rihanna, calling her the “love of my life” and “the one”.
- GRA locks up popular event center ‘Underbridge’
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- Black Sherif’s ‘Oh Paradise’ about late girlfriend gets fans emotional
- NSMQ 2022: Competing schools arrive on KNUST campus ahead of prelims
- Court orders CID Boss to provide safety report on alleged bride killers
- One dead in Tetegu floods
- Black Sherif didn’t lose BET, his nomination is a win – Reggie Rockstone
- Posterity will judge Akufo-Addo, other leaders meanly if galamsey fight is not won – Gabby Otchere-Darko
- Rotaract Club of Ho supports Akrofu Xeviofe pupils with educational materials
- Members of pro-Alan group accuse Bawumia of campaigning contrary to National Council directive
- In pictures: Illegal mining activities in the Bosome Freho District
- BoG’s timing of policy rate adjustment was wrong – Economist
- Paa Kwesi Schandorf: An open letter to Dr. Bawumia on the occasion of his 59th birthday
- Bawumia dances to ‘Buga’ song to mark 59th birthday
- Ellembelle District receives school infrastructure project from Eni Ghana and Partners
- Coachella files copyright infringement lawsuit against Afrochella
- We failed to deal with local triggers of inflation before Russia-Ukraine war – Prof. Bokpin
- Ghana Music Awards UK comes off on October 29
- Samira Bawumia celebrates husband on 59th birthday
- Laboratory scientists call for establishment of public health emergency preparedness fund
- It cost ₵200k to produce ‘Run For Your Wife’ play – George Quaye
- Halt PPP arrangement for a laboratory facility – Medical Laboratory Professionals tell government
- Nima Dreams: A documentary about how lack of infrastructure is affecting talent growth