Audio By Carbonatix
As part of the "Let's make Accra Work" agenda, the Greater Accra Regional Minister, Henry Quartey has joined officials of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly and some security personnel to demolish illegal structures along the Graphic Road in Accra.
The team on Tuesday, May 18, also evacuated persons who had encroached on lands between Farisco Junction and the Obetsebi Interchange.
This initiative, according to the Minister will ensure free flow of vehicular traffic and keep the vicinity clean.
"What called for it is that we want to ensure that Accra is clean. We want to ensure that Accra is like the Dubai and America you want to go to. So we will remove unauthorized structures that have sprung up all over the city making it difficult for even sanitation and waste management companies to go about their duties," he said.
Unauthorised structures along the Odaw being pulled down as the Greater Accra Minister, Hon. Henry Quartey intensifies his #LetsMakeAccraWork campaign. pic.twitter.com/s6w2rXujUx
— Twitta Patriots (@TheTPatriots) May 18, 2021
Today's exercise follows a stakeholder meeting between Henry Quartey and owners of companies along the Graphic road to finalize plans on the decongestion exercise. Present at the meeting were the Mayor of Accra, MCE for Ablekuma North, Korle-Klottey and Chief Directors from various Assemblies.
The Tema West Municipal Assembly last month pulled down several buildings around the Lashibi drain in Accra.
All these interventions are to ensure the attainment of the objective of the Akufo-Addo-led government to make Accra the cleanest city in West Africa.
Mr Henry Quartey has already noted that although he is aware that measures being taken by his outfit to decongest the city will be greeted with lots of criticism and backlash, tackling the issue of sanitation in Ghana remains a priority for him.
Latest Stories
-
The six KNUST air quality ambassadors championing clean air action across Ghana and West Africa
2 hours -
Big motivation if people want Spurs down – De Zerbi
2 hours -
West Ham relegation may cost London taxpayers £2.5m
2 hours -
Leeds promise bans over homophobic chants
3 hours -
Mahama recused himself over Damang Mine deal – Kwakye Ofosu rejects Ibrahim state capture claims
3 hours -
What is wrong with us? We celebrate buildings but neglect the systems that keep cities alive
3 hours -
Neymar included in Brazil’s 26-man World Cup squad
3 hours -
Why Ghana’s export story is no longer about raw cocoa
3 hours -
Man City preparing for Guardiola departure
3 hours -
The paradox of plenty: How Ghana’s farmers are being sacrificed on the altar of a cheap import agenda
3 hours -
Defence Ministry in ‘safe hands’ despite vacancy – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
3 hours -
Why no Defence Minister yet? – Felix Kwakye Ofosu says Mahama sees no urgency
4 hours -
Sam George petitions AG to probe $3.4m payment for CSA building project
4 hours -
The Abronye Charge Sheet – misuse in plain sight
4 hours -
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid after 23 years
4 hours