Residents of Adaklu Dzakpo, a farming community on the fringes of the Kalakpa Game Reserve in the Adaklu district, have been cut-off from the rest of the district due to flooding of the River Kalakpa.
The wooden bridge on the river that linked the community to others in the district and Ho was washed away after three days of torrential rains.
A Unit Committee member of Adaklu Kodzobi Electoral Area, Charles Agblanya told the Ghana News Agency that residents could not access healthcare and social services as they were unable to travel to Adaklu Have and Ho for such services.
Mr Agblanya said the community’s basic school was on an unofficial holiday because the teachers, who lived outside the community, could not come to school due to the flood.
The Unit Committee member said the flood also inundated a large acreage of farmlands.
“I am, therefore, appealing to the government to come to our aid and construct a permanent bridge on the river to help solve this perennial problem once and for all.”
Mr Carlos Atidoh, an official of the Adaklu district directorate of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), said a team from the office visited the area on Thursday to assess the situation.
He described the flooding as “a calamity which needs urgent attention.”
- Police intervene to bring deadly clash between Nima and Mamobi youth under control
- Couple pursuing same course graduate from UG
- UG-UTAG continues strike despite NLC directive
- Ato Forson pleads not guilty to charge of causing €2.3m financial loss to the state
- Aisha Modi gave me ¢5k, not ¢500 – Psalm Adjetefio makes U-turn
- Bagbin returns to UAE for medical review
- 1 out of 4 marriages registered at AMA in 2021 dissolved
- Man charged with manslaughter after 5-year-old dies following ski slope collision
- Nobody can intimidate any chief under my watch – Asantehene
- Azumah Nelson loses younger brother
The ART’s ‘Escape’ video tackles the touchy subject of anxiety
Shoot-to-kill order given to Nigeria prison guards
Akufo-Addo, Chief Justice have received our petition for removal of EC and her deputies – FixTheCountry Movement
KiDi nominated for NAACP awards
Semester system won’t affect teacher-student contact hours – GES
Captain Smart to face prosecution over ¢25,000 fraud case
My mother got me initiated at a Tigare shrine – Psalm Adjeteyfio
Dutylex Company Limited commissions new ultra modern oil terminal at Tarkwa
Semester system for pre-tertiary not workable – Nortsu-Kotoe
2021 AFCON: Twitter users blame Anas’ Number 12 exposé for Black Stars painful exit
Nigerians troll Ghanaians after AFCON loss
There’s no justification for pre-tertiary semester system – Kofi Asare
Playback: PM Express discusses semester system for basic schools
Cassper Nyovest to fight musician in another celebrity boxing match
Grammy Awards rescheduled for April 3