Asamoah Gyan is part of Kwasi Appiah’s provisional 29-man squad for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nation scheduled for Egypt.
The striker has been named hours after ending his retirement from the senior national team, the Black Stars.
Ghana’s record goal-scoring forward explained it was the President, Nana Akufo-Addo who prevailed on him to do the u-turn following an interaction.
However, Harrison Afful, who has been Ghana’s first choice right back for four years, has been dropped. The defender is said to be nursing an injury.
Asante Kotoko duo Felix Annan and Abdul Fatawu, as well as Mohammed Alhassan, are the only local players in the squad.
There is also a place for Under 23 striker Kwabena Owusu, Czech Republic-based winger Samuel Owusu and Switzerland-based defender Nuhu Musa.
In total, the 29 consists of three goalkeepers, ten defenders, eleven midfielders and five strikers.
Richard Ofori (Maritzburg United, South Africa, Lawrence Ati- Zigi (Sochaux, Montbeliard, France), and Felix Annan (Asante Kotoko, Ghana).
John Boye (Metz, France), Andy Yiadom (Reading, England, Abdul Baba Rahman (Reims, France), Lumor Agbenyenu (Goztepe A.S, Turkey), Kassim Nuhu, (Hoffenheim, Germany,) Jonathan Mensah (Columbus Crew SC, USA), Joseph Aidoo (Genk, Belgium), Nuhu Musa (St Gallen, Switzerland), Joseph Attamah (Basaksehir, Turkey), and Mohammed Alhassan (Hearts of Oak, Ghana)
Mubarak Wakaso (Deportivo Alaves, Spain), Thomas Partey (Atletico Madrid, Spain), Kwadwo Asamoah (Internazionale, Italy), Ebenezer Ofori (New York FC, USA), Afriyie Acquah (Empoli, Italy), Andre Ayew ( Fenerbache, Turkey), Christian Atsu (Newcastle United, England), Samuel Owusu (Cukaricki, Serbia), Thomas Agyepong (Hibernian, Scotland), Yaw Yeboah (Numancia, Spain), Abdul Fatawu (Asante Kotoko, Ghana).
Asamoah Gyan (Kayserispor, Turkey), Jordan Ayew (Crystal Palace, England), Abdul Majeed Waris ( Nantes, France), Caleb Ekuban (Trabzonspor, Turkey and Kwabena Owusu (Leganes, Spain).
The team will depart Accra, on Sunday, June 1, for pre-tournament preparations in Dubai, ahead of the competition. Of the 29 players, the final 23 will be named to represent Ghana at the tournament.
The GFA Normalization Committee has lined up two high profile preparatory matches for the Black Stars against Namibia and South Africa.
Meanwhile, the following are the additional backroom staff joining the Black Stars technical team for the competition.
1. Coach David Duncan (Scout)
2. Coach Didi Mas- Ud Dramani (Scout)
3. Coach Sellas Tetteh (scout)
4. Patrick Ofori (Psychologist)
5. Samuel Kwame Ankomah (Masseur)
6. Jermaine Lopia (Video & match analyst)
7. Simon Copley (Physical trainer)
- #FixTheCountry agitators have no leaders – Barker-Vormawor
- 5 feared dead, 15 injured in accident on Accra-Tema motorway
- Wesley Girls’ SHS ‘no fasting” policy, strictly for health reasons – Old students
- Ramadan: UDS Dean of Education condemns Wesley Girls SHS management
- Companies continue to export rosewood to China despite ban – Inusah Fuseini
- Over 200 police personnel deployed to enforce mining directives across Ghana
- Why I rejected over ¢700k bribe – Anti-galamsey taskforce member
- Ghana’s 4x100m men’s relay team set to pitch camp in Europe ahead of Olympics
- Ramadan: Exercise restraint and circumspection in your comments – Peace Council to all stakeholders
- Claims of fasting affecting health unfounded – Islamic Medical Association, Ghana
Ecobank shareholders to get 55 pesewas per share dividend
Bolt launches its car-sharing service Bolt Drive
2 teenagers jailed for life after killing Italian police officer
Blunt and Blay: Finding ‘silence’ for Auntie Ohene from uncle Sam’s ‘noise’
Far from silence, we suffer a culture of noise – Elizabeth Ohene
Some celebrities give hope while others give excuses for #FixTheCountry
Seatbelt has saved me 3 times – Alban Bagbin
Nigeria kidnappers free 27 college students
Zulu Kingship: Royals and rebels fight for throne
Election 2020: EC saved Ghana $90m as compared to 2016 election – Bossman Asare
Pupils in Adaklu admonished to utilise ultramodern ICT lab to develop skill
Lady Gaga’s dognappers apprehended
Otumfuo charges Housing Minister to work towards ending perennial floods
Today’s front pages: Thursday, May 6, 2021
5 feared dead, 15 injured in accident on Accra-Tema motorway