Audio By Carbonatix
The Guinness World Records says Ghana's Afua Asantewaa failed to break the longest singing marathon she attempted in December 2023.
The GWR said this in a statement on X (formerly Twitter) adding that despite the setback they hope she makes another attempt.
"We've seen how inspirational it has been for her fans…We wish Afua the best of luck with any future record attempts," they noted.
They added that the money Afua Asantewaa's team paid for a priority review has been refunded.
Afua Asantewaa in December 2023 took on the challenge to beat the existing record which stands at 105 hours set in 2012.
Read More: I hope this sing-a-thon inspires the youth to take on more challenges – Afua Asantewaa
Asantewaa endured a five-day singing marathon which began at midnight on Sunday, December 24, 2023, and ended at 7:00 am on December 29, 2023.
At the time she ended her record attempt on Friday morning, the young woman had sung for five days, six hours and 55 minutes.
Ending her record attempt on an emotional note, Afua Asantewaa sang Osibisa’s ‘Woyaya’. The national anthem was later played to honour her and celebrate her efforts.
She was also announced as a Tourism Ambassador by the Ghana Tourism Authority days later.
However, after eagerly awaiting the outcome of her record attempt, the Guinness World Record was yet to announce her results.
Read More: Sing-a-thon: We have paid $750 to fast-track the verification process – Afua Asantewaa
In January 2024, she disclosed that her team had expedited the approval process. She revealed that they paid $750 to the Guinness World Record for a priority review.
However, even though a priority review takes five business days, her result was delayed again fuelling rumours that she may have not passed.
Read More: Afua Asantewaa seeking four more records
Meanwhile, the Guinness World Record in their statement announced that at the time Afua Asantewaa applied for her result to be expedited, they had started her review.
“The evidence check had already begun before Afua requested priority service, so we refunded her payment earlier this month,” the statement read.
Latest Stories
-
BoG Governor calls for balance between financial innovation and stability
44 seconds -
Regulate the risk, not the technology – Governor Asiama advises central banks
2 minutes -
NIA clears 640,000 card backlog, expands nationwide and Diaspora operations
3 minutes -
Ghana to launch first electronic visa system on Africa Day – Ablakwa announces
5 minutes -
Sparqlyn congratulates Shatta Wale on IRAWMA wins, recounts old memories
9 minutes -
Agriculture Ministry warns against unauthorised livestock markets ahead of Eid
19 minutes -
Dr Gideon Boako predicts an increase in bank charges from June 4
25 minutes -
To what degree can universities alone save Africa?
26 minutes -
Minority vows to block new taxes, cites hardship on Ghanaians
28 minutes -
Ghana’s Parliament among the most transparent in Africa – Mahama Ayariga
31 minutes -
JoyNews reports lead to restoration of Awoshie–Ablekuma traffic lights, easing safety concerns
35 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund to rely on lotto, gaming revenue and corporate support — Administrator
42 minutes -
PAC urges Finance Ministry to conduct annual audits of gov’t arrears to curb financial irregularities
45 minutes -
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
46 minutes -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
47 minutes