The Attorney General’s Office has been sued by two NDC MPs over Parliament’s approval of salaries for the spouses of the President and Vice President.
The MPs are Rockson Nelson Dafeamekpor of South Dayi and Dr Clement Apaak of Builsa South. They are joined by Frederick Nii Commey.
They are seeking a total of eight reliefs from the Supreme Court. The reliefs are;
- A declaration that upon a true and proper interpretation of Article 71(1) of the 1992 Constitution of Ghana, the Professor Yaa Ntiamoa-Baidu Committee appointed by the President under Article 71(1), only had jurisdiction to make recommendations in respect of salaries, allowances payable, facilities and privileges of Article 71 office holders under the 1992 Constitution.
- A further declaration that upon a true and proper interpretation of Article 71(1) of the 1992 Constitution of Ghana, the Prof Ntiamoa-Baidu Committee had no jurisdiction, mandate or authority to make any recommendations in respect of salaries, allowances payable, facilities and privileges of persons other than persons specified under Article 71 of 1992 Constitution.
- A declaration that upon a true and proper interpretation of Article 71(1) of the 1992 Constitution, the Prof Ntiamoa-Baidu Committee exceeded its jurisdiction, mandate and authority when it purported to make recommendations in respect of privileges, facilities, salaries and allowances payable to the 1st Lady and the wife of the Vice President of the Republic of Ghana.
- A further declaration that the recommendations of the Committee, to the extent that it pertains to the 1st Lady and the wife of the Vice President of the Republic of Ghana, are null, void and of no effect.
- A declaration that upon a true and proper interpretation of the Constitution, 1992, spouses of the President and the Vice President are not Article 71 office holders for the purposes of receipt of wages and emoluments.
- An order declaring the recommendations in respect of privileges, facilities, salaries and allowances payable to the 1st Lady and the wife of the Vice President of the Republic of Ghana as unconstitutional and void.
- An order restraining the President of the Republic of Ghana or any other arm, ministry, department or agency of the Executive, from implementing any recommendations of the Prof Ntiamoah-Baidu Committee which pertains to the 1st Lady and the wife of the Vice President of the Republic of Ghana.
- Any further Order(s) or direction(s) as this Honourable Court may deem necessary.
Lawyers of the applicants filed the action at the registry of the Supreme Court Thursday.
Meanwhile, a second writ seeking similar reliefs has also been filed, this time by the NPP’s Kwame Baffoe popularly known as “Abronye”.
- Ashanti NSS boss insults nurse for suggesting a change in prescription
- That is not my style – Ashanti Regional NSS boss apologises for insulting nurses
- Petrol, diesel prices to go down by 10% – IES
- Fire destroys shops at Kantamanto market
- Government still wasteful but imposes austerity on Ghanaians – Joe Jackson
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti Region NSS Boss no longer at Manhyia Hospital – GRNMA
- ‘Mr and Mrs Adeleke’: Fans gush over photos of Chioma with Davido and her in-laws during 1st public appearance
- Fentuo Tahiru Fentuo: The day Kudus shone, in Jordan’s shadow
- Ex-Black Stars midfielder Sulley Muntari retires, age 38
- NSS summons Ashanti Region boss for investigation
- 2022 FIFA WC: “No time for revenge, qualification is key” – Andre Ayew
- Lack of support affecting mental health conditions – MindFreedom Ghana
- Who determines what is critical in this country? – TUC on public sector employment freeze
- 2023 Budget: Today’s debate to focus on Trade, Energy, Communications and Roads
- TUC has never supported government going to the IMF – Joshua Ansah
- Court remands trader for defrauding entrepreneurs
- Manifestivities concert to make big return on December 18
- South African delegation to understudy Ghana’s small-scale mining sector
- Marriages are collapsing due to high cost of living – Dr Ato Forson
- Forget Ashanti Regional NSS boss’ apology; it is hollow – GRNMA
- Equip hospitals in Africa for swift pandemic response – Prof. Christian Drosten
- Kantamanto fire: Interior Minister commiserates with affected traders
- Minority fumes over Ofori-Atta’s absence during debate on 2023 Budget
- Northern Development Forum questions delay in construction of Pwalugu Multipurpose Dam
- Playback: PM Express discuss employment freeze in public sector