The Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) has denied publications that it has entered into an agreement with a third party for the importation of large quantities of pork from the United States.
The Ministry in a statement explained that, the Veterinary Services Directorate (VSD) of the ministry rather requested from veterinary medical officers in the USA for certification for meat and poultry healthiness intended to be exported to Ghana.
“MoFA categorically denies the validity of the allegation as it has not signed any such agreement with any party. For clarity, the Veterinary Services Directorate (VSD) of MoFA has on record, a request from Dr. Charmaine McJee, Veterinary Medical Officer, Export Development of FSISUSDA, Washington for Certification for Meat and Poultry Wholesomeness intended to be exported to Ghana which was granted following laboratory analysis of samples”, the statement said.
The statement added that it is an obligation of VSD to render the requested services professionally in accordance with ethics of the Organization of World Animal Health for which Ghana is a Member.
“Rather unfortunately, the VSD legal mandate has been misconstrued. We therefore take this opportunity to assure the general public that, no agreement has been signed between the Ministry and any party for the unbridled importation of pork to flood the Ghanaian market”.
MoFA assured that it will never undermine the efforts and narrow market opportunities of the Ghanaian pig farmer.
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- TikToker Ahuofe ‘Ghana Tupac’ dead
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Social media users react to TikToker Ahoufe’s death
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- BoG denies introduction of ¢500 coin, note
- Where’s the so-called excess capacity? – John Jinapor quizzes government over load shedding timetable
- Proposed taxes are draconian – Seth Terkper
- We will resume picketing if government fails to honour payment in 2-weeks – Pensioner bondholders
- Adom FM climaxes Ghana Month celebrations with splendid cultural durbar
- We need a hospital built purposely for Members of Parliament – Henry Quartey
- North Dayi District Assembly committed to improving livelihoods of PwDs – DCE
- High Court issues bench warrant for Savelugu MP
- Enterprise Group PLC appoints Keli Gadzekpo as Group Chairman
- We hope our colleagues will help pass the 3 tax measures – Oppong Nkrumah
- Justice system has not worked for Gyakye Quayson, Assin North constituents – Mahama
- Oscar Pistorius parole bid collapses in South Africa
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- Health officer in court for allegedly defiling two teenagers at Nkwanta
- Gbewaa College incurs over GHȻ7k debt weekly to feed teacher trainees – Principal
- GAEC partners EU, IAEA UNICRI to fight organised criminal activities
- What are we on earth for? – Henry Quartey mourns death of Kumawu MP
- Online safety: Fund seeks applicants for grant awards
- Music producer Kaywa loses mother
- The Multimedia Group’s Adom brand ends Ghana month with colourful cultural display