Audio By Carbonatix
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has dismissed the Director General of the National Sports Authority (NSA), Dodzie Numekevor, with immediate effect, JoySports can report.
The decision reportedly follows CAF's withdrawal of Baba Yara Sports Stadium licence from hosting International matches.
On Monday, JoySports gathered that president Akufo-Addo ordered the sacking of individuals responsible for renting out the Baba Yara Stadium for a church programme for six days prior to the AFCON 2025 qualifier against Angola.
The President also reportedly told the Sports Minister he will be held responsible if Ghana plays any of its home matches outside of this country.
The Sports Minister, Mustapha Ussif, through his Chief Director, William Kartay Caesar queried Mr Numekevor, demanding that he explains why he should not penalised for leading an authority which has embarrassed the office of the president and the country at large.
Mr Numekevor had Wednesday, September 18, 2024, to respond to the query, but President Akufo-Addo who appears dissatisfied with the state of sports infrastructure under the NSA's leadership, relieved him of his duty Tuesday afternoon, JoySports sources revealed.
Prior to his dismissal, he had closed down Baba Yara, Accra, and Cape Coast stadia for maintenance. It was in response to growing concerns to the bad nature of the facilities.
CAF recommended reconstruction of the Baba Yara pitch and noted the poor state of the Accra and Cape Coast Sports stadia in a letter to the Ghana Football Association on September 10.
Ghana FA was directed to choose an approved venue outside Ghana to host Sudan on matchday 3 in the 2025 AFCON qualifiers.
Ghana is currently considering Togo if the country is unable to convince any of its facilities to host Sudan.
Dr. Dodzie Numekevor had been serving as interim Director General of the NSA since 26 February 2024, after taking over from Professor Peter Twumasi, who held the position for six years.
Latest Stories
-
Recovery is possible — NACOC Director-General urges youth battling substance abuse to seek help
40 seconds -
Jinapor appeals for calm after nationwide power outage, says Akosombo works will be completed next month
5 minutes -
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
12 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
14 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
17 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
18 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
22 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
22 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
24 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
30 minutes -
Parah Foundation commissions GH¢60,000 water project for over 300 families in Adeiso-Domeabra
38 minutes -
IES calls for urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout in three weeks
39 minutes -
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work
43 minutes -
Digital engines of growth: The role and impact of ICT on SMEs in Ghana
47 minutes -
Absa supports €456m financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth
47 minutes