The Obuasi Enterprise and Skills Development Center has been commissioned to offer alternative sources of employment for the youth in the gold mining town.
The initiative by Anglogold Ashanti is to support the development of local businesses in the Obuasi municipality.
The centre was jointly established by Anglogold Ashanti Ghana and the AGA Community Trust Fund. The training hub will provide solutions to businesses, support skills and capacity building.
Speaking at the event, Ashanti Regional Minister, Hon. Osei Mensah emphasized the need to create employment through Technical and Vocational Education and Training.
He said, “the government is ready to support such initiatives in other parts of the region. This are areas where people can easily get employment”.
The disability-friendly center at Anyinam in the Obuasi municipality is made up of a multipurpose conference, a business centre, eight mini-meeting areas, a fully-equipped industrial sewing centre, a fully-equipped leather workshop, bead-making center and hand sanitizer production center.
The refurbished facility which hitherto served as a recreational centre has so far supported 600 businesses in Obuasi.
Managing Director of Anglogold Ashanti Obuasi Mine, Dr. Eric Asubonteng, noted the center will improve the living conditions of the youth and enhance their self-reliance.
“Through the establishment of this center we have under our Enterprise Development Programme provided business solutions to about 600 businesses including women-owned businesses and artisans,” Dr.Eric Asubonteng revealed.
The Center forms part of the Enterprise Development Programme under the 3-year social management plan of Anglogold Ashanti Ghana.
Some beneficiaries who have been trained at the center were awarded.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Turkey earthquake: “Huge and miraculous” – Christian Atsu’s local manager reacts to his rescue
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- Demand for dollars ease; BoG sold only $9.2m on spot market
- Haruna Iddrisu did not sell out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- Stonebwoy shares pictures of red carpet moments at 2023 Grammys
- Akufo-Addo donates cash, food items towards funeral of late Yagbonwura
- 60% of doctors are in Accra and Kumasi – Health Ministry
- 9 arrested in Atewa Forest for illegal mining
- Pencils of Promise commissions 197th classroom block
- Newmont Ahafo North Mining Project: Chiefs, youth groups appeal to government to apply state laws, warns WACAM
- Reshuffle is to reinvigorate government – Majority Leader
- Majority Leader stops taking fuel allocation in response to Ghana’s economic woes
- Digital Cooperation Organisation makes case for collaboration at LEAP in Saudi Arabia
- Asante Akim Marathon winner to compete in world cross country competition
- DDEP: Government commends bondholders who have tendered their bonds
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- Merqury Quaye to headline first DJ concert in Ghana on March 5
- Playback: One-on-one with Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- ‘The Lord is your shepherd, you shall not want’ – Bagbin prays for Haruna Iddrisu and co
- Epixode hopes to be as big as Grammy winner Kabaka Pyramid ‘one day’