Audio By Carbonatix
The Attorney-General, Dr Dominic Ayine, has revealed that charges against Ashanti Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Bernard Antwi Boasiako, popularly known as Chairman Wontumi, and his Akonta Mining firm have been completed and signed.
He announced that Mr Boasiako has been directed to report to Accra on Monday, October 6, 2025, for his charges to be read, warning that failure to comply would result in his arrest.
Speaking during President John Dramani Mahama’s engagement with civil society organisations on illegal mining in Accra on Friday, October 3, Dr Ayine said, “The charges against Wontumi, Akonta Mining, have been signed. He should be here on Monday. If he doesn’t come by Monday, I will order his arrest, and his charges will be read to him.”
The development follows ongoing investigations into the operations of Akonta Mining. The Director-General of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID), DCOP Lydia Yaako Donkor, earlier confirmed that probes were underway, adding that one other person connected to the company had been arrested.
She explained that Chairman Wontumi had engaged with investigators on several occasions but had recently delayed further appearances due to illness, a claim supported by his lawyer. DCOP Donkor stressed that “the investigations are actively ongoing” and assured the public that the final outcome would be communicated.
The CID also arrested and took statements from a business associate of Mr Boasiako, identified as Akuoko, in connection with the matter.
Chairman Wontumi was first invited by the CID on May 26, 2025, appearing with his legal counsel, former Attorney-General Godfred Yeboah Dame, and former Asante-Akim North MP Andy Appiah-Kubi.
He has consistently denied any involvement in illegal mining. Speaking on his TV station, Wontumi TV, he said:
“I want to tell the public that I am not into galamsey. I have a large-scale company, which Akonta Mining is under… All the required documents I have, I will make all available.”
He further indicated his willingness to cooperate fully with investigators, adding:
“I am appealing to them to use the law. They should do their investigations, and we should let the law work.”
Latest Stories
-
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
52 minutes -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
1 hour -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
1 hour -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
2 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
2 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
2 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
3 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
3 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
3 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
4 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
4 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
4 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
5 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
5 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
5 hours