Audio By Carbonatix
Australia's national broadcaster has been ordered to pay A$150,000 (£73,435; $99,200) in penalties for unfairly sacking a presenter over a social media post about the war in Gaza.
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) took fill-in radio host Antoinette Lattouf off air in December 2023 due to her political views, and after lobbying from pro-Israel groups, the Federal Court found earlier this year.
Lattouf has already been awarded A$70,000 in damages, but on Wednesday, Justice Darryl Rangiah said the "substantial" extra sum was needed to ensure the ABC learned its lesson.
The broadcaster has publicly apologised to Lattouf, saying it also failed its staff and audiences.
Lattouf's dismissal triggered a wave of public outrage and created turmoil at the ABC - raising questions over its independence and reviving concerns over how it supports employees, particularly those who are culturally diverse.
"The ABC let down the Australian public badly when it abjectly surrendered the rights of its employee... to appease a lobby group," Justice Rangiah said on Wednesday.
"The public scrutiny the ABC has faced must surely have brought home to the ABC the unacceptability of its contravening conduct. Nevertheless, I consider that substantial penalties are necessary to ensure that the message is received and heeded."
Lattouf has been a regular contributor in Australian media for years, but also made a name for herself as an activist on issues like racism, discrimination in media and mental health.
She was hired for a week-long stint on ABC Radio Sydney's Mornings show, but after three shifts was told to pack up her things. The decision to remove her from the airwaves was promptly leaked to the media.
Hours earlier, Lattouf had shared a post from Human Rights Watch (HRW) that accused Israel of using starvation as a tool of war, an allegation that Israel denies but which the International Criminal Court now says it has "reasonable grounds" to believe.
The ABC argued at trial that Lattouf had been instructed not to talk about the war on social media, and that her post breached the broadcaster's editorial policy.
But in his initial judgment, Justice Rangiah found that she was never given a direction not to post. While her Instagram story was "ill-advised", he said, Lattouf was fired with "no more than a suspicion" that she "may" have breached some policy or guideline and given no opportunity to defend herself.
There was a clear "orchestrated" campaign by pro-Israel lobbyists to have Lattouf taken off air right from the outset of her employment, and she was "sacrificed" by ABC management in a bid to mitigate the criticism, Justice Rangiah said on Wednesday.
"The ABC and others cannot be allowed to regard a penalty as an acceptable price to pay for staving off criticism."
He said while the ABC has displayed some contrition - including through the public apology - their failure to investigate who leaked Lattouf's sacking to the media detracts from that.
The saga had caused "very significant consequences" for Lattouf, he said, ordering that the sum be paid to her within 28 days.
Latest Stories
-
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
11 minutes -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
29 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
53 minutes -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
4 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
4 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
4 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
5 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
5 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
5 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
5 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
6 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
6 hours