Audio By Carbonatix
Barcelona skipper Lionel Messi will not travel to the United States for the club's pre-season tour after sustaining a calf problem on his return to training from a close-season break, the La Liga champions said on Monday.
The Argentine forward experienced discomfort in his right leg during Monday's training session and tests confirmed that the 32-year-old had suffered a grade one calf strain, forcing him out of the tour.
"Messi will remain in Barcelona... his availability to come back to action will be dictated by his recovery," Barcelona said in a statement https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/football/first-team/news/1300856/leo-messi-suffers-right-calf-injury on their website.
Barcelona are set to travel to the U.S. later on Monday, with two friendly matches scheduled against Italian Serie A side Napoli on Aug. 7 (Miami) and 10 (Michigan).
Messi was banned from international duty for three months and fined $50,000 after levelling accusations of "corruption" at South American soccer chiefs during last month's Copa America.
He was sent off against Chile in the third-place playoff and later alleged that the tournament had been fixed in favour of hosts Brazil, who defeated Argentina in the semi-final on their way to the title.
Latest Stories
-
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
27 minutes -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
40 minutes -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
44 minutes -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
51 minutes -
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
2 hours -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
2 hours -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
2 hours -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
2 hours -
Nestlé Ghana, ECOM Ghana hand over 6-unit classroom block to Adarkwa Methodist Primary School
2 hours -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
2 hours -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
2 hours -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
3 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
4 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
4 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
4 hours