Audio By Carbonatix
A British man has been killed in a hit-and-run incident involving a vehicle in the motorcade of Kenyan President William Ruto.
The man, who has been named as 79-year-old Edgar Riches, died on Thursday after being struck in the accident on a main road in the capital, Nairobi.
Police detained a driver, who has since been released on bail.
They say he was driving a support vehicle that was travelling at the rear of President Ruto's official convoy.
According to the police, the president's detail had passed by the time the accident occurred.
Police spokesman Michael Muchiri told the BBC that Mr Riches had been visiting Kenya to see his sister and nephew who are residents of the country.
Kenya's police initially gave his name as Edgar Charles Frederick - using his middle names.
A post-mortem found he had suffered multiple trauma, including severe injuries to the chest and head.
He was a charity worker from Poole in Dorset, who had regularly raised money for projects Kenya.
The police said the driver, who failed to stop after the incident, would appear in court following an investigation.
There has been an uproar on social media following Thursday's incident.
While Kenyans are accustomed to roads being cleared for the presidential motorcade, this time around some have questioned why the convoy was so big and moving at such speed.
This not the first time a president's or deputy president's motorcade has killed or injured a pedestrian, and in a number of cases, members of the president's travelling party have died.
But some believe more attention is being paid to this latest case because the victim is a foreigner.
A spokesperson for the UK High Commission said officials were aware of the reports and were seeking more information.
Videos posted on social media show a man in blue jeans and a light-coloured shirt lying bleeding on the road outside a busy shopping area.
Other pictures show the victim covered in a checked shawl, known locally as a Maasai Shuka.
Mr Muchiri told the BBC the vehicle belonged to the regional administration and was providing support to the presidential detail.
President Ruto held events in the vicinity of the scene on Thursday as part of ongoing political engagements with the public in the capital.
Latest Stories
-
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
49 minutes -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
52 minutes -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
58 minutes -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
1 hour -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
1 hour -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
1 hour -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
1 hour -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
4 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General SuperintendentÂ
4 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
4 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
4 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
4 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
4 hours