Scancom Ghana Limited, operators of the telecommunication network, MTN, has been recognized as the number one company of the year 2017 at the GIPC Ghana Club 100 Awards.
The company which also emerged as the highest taxpayer for the year received the coveted award as a result of its sterling performance for the year under review.
Speaking to JoyBusiness at the event which coincides with the company’s end of year dinner, the ‘MTN Yello Soiree’, Corporate Services Executive at MTN Ghana, Samuel Koranteng, said, “What has worked for us is, we are focused on our network and we continue to invest in it.
“We continue to come up with innovative products that are relevant to our subscribers and to ensure that we also leverage our platform to partner other companies and businesses to roll out new and innovative products across the board.”
Regarding what more to expect from them in 2019, Mr. Koranteng said his outfit seeks to invest more in the network to increase its offering to customers.
He said, “We would improve our network, we would improve our services and above all, we are going to be much more customer-centric in the way we do our business and to roll out more digital content and relevant products for our subscribers.
Delivering the keynote address on behalf of the President, Deputy Finance minister, Kwaku Kwarteng, touted the achievements of the government for the past two years as a pillar for economic growth
“Our government is keen on developing the Ghanaian economy through the private sector hence the introduction of initiatives to support the growth of industries and creating a friendly business environment.” He said.
Mr. Kwarteng added, “Some of the initiatives include the digital addressing system, paperless ports whereby one needs no further physical examination before clearing goods as well as the reduction of agencies operating at the ports.”
He is optimistic that the downward trend of inflation and policy rates in recent times is a clear indication that the government is on course to deliver its mandate to the people.
Chief Executive of the Ghana Investment Promotion Centre and organizer of the event, Yofi Grant, urged the award winners to leverage on the achievements to do more in the years ahead. He, therefore, encouraged others that couldn't win to look forward to a better future
The 17th Club 100 awards saw some other winners in the first ten like Goil Company limited as number two on the list, followed by Goldfields Ghana Ltd., Kosmos Energy Ghana Ltd., Newmont Golden Ridge Ltd., Glico Healthcare Ltd., Olam Ghana Ltd., Newmont Gold Ghana Ltd., Wilmar Africa Ltd. and Enterprise Trustees Ghana respectively.
Other discretionary awards were given to some deserving companies as follows;
Most promising club 100 company – Glico Healthcare
Most profitable club 100 company – Multipro Private, producers of Indomie noodles
Largest company of the year – Scancom, MTN
Highest taxpayer – MTN
Best club 100 company, CSR – Standard Chartered Bank
Best new entrant – Olam Ghana
Best listed company – Bensuo Oil Palm Plantation
Company of the future 2018 – Yeslie Ice
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- MP calls for increased investment in renewable energy
- Dalex rewards top performing sales staff with trip to Dubai
- Ghana’s economy grew by 6.7% in Q1 of 2019
- Tullow beefs up security on FPSO Kwame Nkrumah after man jumps overboard
- ‘They can’t be bothered’ – SEC accused as millions get locked up in troubled firms
- The world now has three people worth more than $100bn each
- Boeing ends sales drought, announcing first new airplane orders in three months
- West African countries resolve to improve maritime safety
- Farmers commend government on floor price for cocoa
- Savings and Loans sector cleanup to start before September - Finance Minister
- Baker Hughes commended for supporting Accelerated Oil and Gas Capacity programme
- Central Bank Governors in West Africa commit to 2020 deadline for common currency
- Another ¢5.5bn needed to finish financial sector cleanup—World Bank report
- Ghana Bauxite Company shuts down as aggrieved staff burn company properties
- MTN to empower 100 persons with disability to mark 10th MoMo anniversary