Audio By Carbonatix
Concerned cocoa farmers in the Ellembelle District of the Western stormed an illegal mining site at Sendu on Saturday, June 1, to express their frustration and opposition to the destruction of their cocoa farms and water bodies.
Benjamin Azachie, the leader of the Ellembelle Concerned Cocoa Farmers, spoke after presenting their petition to the Ellembelle Member of Parliament, Emmanuel Armah Kofi-Buah.
He appealed to him for assistance in stopping the forced takeover of cocoa farms by illegal miners, or "galamseyers," which is destroying their investments and water sources.
Mr Azachie emphasised that if their concerns are not addressed, the farmers would be compelled to take matters into their own hands and take the necessary steps to protect their livelihoods.

“I’m demonstrating because of the pollution of our water and destruction of cocoa farms. How are we going to feed our children with the destruction of our farms? The operators suddenly came without prior notice to us.
“They tried to pay off my brother to mine in his cocoa farm, but because he refused to accept their money, they have destroyed half of the farm. Why are they doing this to us? This is what worries us. President Akufo-Addo must address this concern. Right now, farmers are not getting water to drink,"he lamented.
Another resident, Ama Amihere said, “They have destroyed rubber farms and also cheated the farmers after forcefully taking their farms. So, we are pleading with government that what is happening is not lawful.”
The once-clean River Fia has been polluted due to illegal mining activities in the Nyamebekyere-Sendu area of Ellembelle.
Nicholas Kofi Mawuli, the Assembly Member for the Nyamebekyere Electoral Area, expressed concerns about the involvement of Chinese nationals in these illegal activities.
After over an hour of demonstrating at the Sendu galamsey site, the Convener of the Concerned Cocoa Farmers of Ellembelle presented their petition to Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, the MP for Ellembelle.

The MP assured the cocoa farmers of his commitment to forward the concerns raised in their petition to parliament for redress.
He however urged the affected residents not to keep quiet but speak up loudly against illegal mining activities in the area.
He said the war against the illegal mining activities in the area, remains a collective responsibility and all hands must be on deck to stem the tide.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
44 minutes -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
1 hour -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
1 hour -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
1 hour -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
1 hour -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
1 hour -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
2 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
2 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
2 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
2 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
3 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
3 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
3 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
3 hours