A 46-year-old driver who destroyed the fence wall of President Akufo-Addo’s house at Nima has been fined GHS960 or in default, serve an eight-week jail term.
Antaru Issaka is also said to have destroyed a telephone pole close to the President’s residence.
Issaka, charged with careless and inconsiderate driving, causing damage, driving without a licence, use of a motor vehicle with an expired licence policy and use of a motor vehicle with an expired roadworthy certificate, pleaded guilty.
The court, presided over by Ama Adomako Kwakye, convicted Issaka on his plea and sentenced him accordingly.
Prosecuting, Sergeant Apeweh Achana said on May 15, 2021, at about 3:30 pm, Issaka, a mechanic, was driving a Mercedes-Benz ML 320 with registration number GS 5885 Z from Nima roundabout, heading towards Nima Junction through the El-Waleed Bin Talaa road.
Sergeant Achana said on reaching a section of the road near the residence of President Akufo Addo, Issaka alleged that the vehicle’s brake “failed” and to avoid hitting the vehicles in front of him, he veered off the road and rammed into the fence wall of the President’s residence, causing damage to the wall and a telephone pole.
Prosecution said during investigations, the accused was found to be an unlicensed driver.
Again, prosecution said the vehicle’s insurance policy had also expired, and it had no roadworthy certificate.
- Organised Labour rejects 18% salary increment
- Qatar 2022: “Kudus is currently the World Cup best player” – Prince Boateng
- Minority welcomes government’s decision to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Government to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Ofori-Atta has more integrity than 99% of politicians I know in Ghana – Prof. Stephen Adei
- How to check 2022 WASSCE provisional results
- 2023 Budget: TUC rejects government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m
- IMF confirms Ghana’s intention to conduct debt restructuring in 2023
- Ashanti Regional NSS Director suspended for verbally abusing a nurse
- Recent measures by government to revamp the economy commendable – Prof Adei
- Man and mistress involved in accident while chasing wife and her lover
- Lemonade Finance presents Delay in “Wo si woyε musician?”
- Hubtel extends operations to the Northern Region
- NACOC seizes Amphetamine tablets concealed in café worth $1.4m
- GRA to focus on Hospitality and Tourism Sector during festive season to rake in revenue
- COVID Levy: People feel scammed – Kofi Bentil
- Sam Jonah: Extractives, climate change and energy transition: what the future holds for Africa
- Darkovibes releases new single ‘Yao’
- Qatar 2022: Ghanaians want Black Stars to exact revenge on Uruguay
- WAEC releases provisional results for 2022 WASSCE; 8,486 candidates in trouble
- It’s not my fault Asamoah Gyan missed the penalty in 2010 – Luis Suarez
- Ashanti Regional Health Directorate engages stakeholders on Marburg virus prevention
- Conjugate vaccine in lessening typhoid burden in Ghana
- We still need to work hard to achieve our target – Otto Addo
- Ghana’s topmost CEOs to attend prestigious CEOs business networking cocktail