The Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) says both the East Legon and the La branches of Marwako Fast Food did not have a food hygiene permit to operate.
The FDA said the East Legon branch where the suspected food poisoning occurred had its permit expired at the time of the alleged food poison.
Joseph Bennie, the Director for Legal and Corporate Affairs at the FDA, disclosed this to Accra-based 3FM on Friday.
“The La branch did not have a food hygiene permit to operate. They put in an application in the last two weeks, and we received the application as far back as last week”.
“The East Legon branch had a permit…but unfortunately for them, it had expired at the time of the incident. Therefore, I need to confirm the Abelemkpe branch had the permit, but the La branch did not have a Food hygiene permit,” he added.
Marwako, a fast-food eatery in Accra, has been trending on Twitter for the past three days after several Twitter users complained of being served contaminated food, resulting in food poisoning.
The complaints were triggered by one Edward Elohim, who posted about his illness after eating at Marwako last Saturday.
Subsequently, the FDA closed down the restaurant’s East Legon and Abelenkpe branches.
“The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant.
“We have closed down the restaurant and, together with other relevant agencies, started investigations”, the tweet said.
Meanwhile, the management of Marwako Fast Food has said it has settled the medical bills of some of its customers who suffered from food poisoning after eating from one of its branches.
This was disclosed by the Public Relations Officer of the restaurant, Amin Lamptey.
He apologised to the public and assured that the Management will continue to ensure affected customers are treated for their ailments.
“We visited some of our customers at the hospital, and those who were discharged visited them at home. We assisted some of them with their hospital bills.
“The main thing started on Saturday and Sunday evening. We have accepted everything, and we have apologised to the victims.”
- Uneasy calm at WondaWorld Estates as wildlife officers move in to remove tigers
- Renowned American producer Timbaland reacts to Black Sherif’s Kwaku The Traveller
- Video of trainer playing with Cheddar’s tigers pops up
- Who is Kelvin Taylor? – Yvonne Nelson quizzes
- 2 Nigerians arrested for attempting to kidnap a 5-year-old child
- ‘My 2 tigers are to help boost tourism’ – Freedom Jacob Caesar
- Cheddar’s Tigers are well secured – Forestry Commission
- I took tramadol for confidence to approach my crush; I nearly died – 24-year-old man
- Ghana records $4.5bn remittances in 2021, places 2nd in Sub-Saharan Africa – World Bank
- What the law says about keeping wild animals like tigers as pets in Ghana
VRA bares teeth at Sentuo Steel over pollution
Court orders lawyer of Josephine Panyin to file her witness statement
Ghana’s public debt hits ¢391bn as of quarter 1, 2022
Mariupol: Russia declares complete victory at Azovstal plant
Monkeypox: 80 cases confirmed in 11 countries, says WHO
Kwesi Arthur – the Akan rapper inspired by dreams
Nigeria’s facial scars: The last generation
‘Put our taxes to good use’ – Agbogbloshie traders urge AMA to desilt clogged drains
Deliver textbooks for basic schools before end of second semester – GNAT President tells goverment
Ministry of Education signs contract with Publishers Association to print textbooks for basic schools
Akufo-Addo cuts sod for $90m University of Engineering & Agric Sciences
Philip Kyeremanteng: Why Achimota Forest must be reserved
I went through proper procedures to acquire my tigers – Freedom Jacob Caesar
Tension simmers at UEW as Governing Council Chairman directs Registrar to proceed on leave
Nana Kojo Quaidoo: NPP internal elections – Akoto factor still gathering momentum in Upper East Region