International conflict resolution expert has described as hypocritical the frenzy ECOWAS attaches to military coups in the sub-region while tacitly endorsing civilian leaders who overthrow constitutions.
Col. (Rtd) Festus Aboagye said it is equally baseless for the group to use sovereignty as an excuse when Presidents reengineer constitutions to give themselves third terms and yet interfere when the military overthrows such persons.
Reacting to the sanctions imposed on Guinea’s military junta at Thursday’s extraordinary meeting by ECOWAS in Accra, the retired army officer outlined several reasons why they will not make much of an impact.
“When it affects civilian leaders, then they cite sovereignty,” he said on JoyNews AM Show.
Col. Aboagye said although there may be a new regime, albeit military, Guinea is still a state, “so at a minimum, the vehemence that ECOWAS attaches to addressing military coups, the same vehemence must be applied and deployed by ECOWAS when civilian leaders misapply the rules and the regulations”.
He says it’s about Africans took another look at how regional organisations are organised and whether membership should be based on benchmarks or should include “the good, the bad and the ugly” as happens in the case in Africa.
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- TikToker Ahuofe ‘Ghana Tupac’ dead
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Social media users react to TikToker Ahoufe’s death
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- BoG denies introduction of ¢500 coin, note
- Where’s the so-called excess capacity? – John Jinapor quizzes government over load shedding timetable
- We will resume picketing if government fails to honour payment in 2-weeks – Pensioner bondholders
- Proposed taxes are draconian – Seth Terkper
- Adom FM climaxes Ghana Month celebrations with splendid cultural durbar
- We need a hospital built purposely for Members of Parliament – Henry Quartey
- North Dayi District Assembly committed to improving livelihoods of PwDs – DCE
- High Court issues bench warrant for Savelugu MP
- Enterprise Group PLC appoints Keli Gadzekpo as Group Chairman
- We hope our colleagues will help pass the 3 tax measures – Oppong Nkrumah
- Justice system has not worked for Gyakye Quayson, Assin North constituents – Mahama
- Oscar Pistorius parole bid collapses in South Africa
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- Health officer in court for allegedly defiling two teenagers at Nkwanta
- Gbewaa College incurs over GHȻ7k debt weekly to feed teacher trainees – Principal
- GAEC partners EU, IAEA UNICRI to fight organised criminal activities
- What are we on earth for? – Henry Quartey mourns death of Kumawu MP
- Online safety: Fund seeks applicants for grant awards
- Music producer Kaywa loses mother
- The Multimedia Group’s Adom brand ends Ghana month with colourful cultural display