Fans of rap have been going ballistic since the host of Open House Party on Joy FM, DJ Black, released his list of Top 50 rappers in Ghana.
The list, released in the wee hours of Thursday, by one of Ghana’s most celebrated DJs, was greeted with a lot of mixed feelings with some suggesting, that some names ought not to be on the list or while others want the list rearranged.
DJ Black has, however, tasked the complainers of his list of top rappers to create their own.
Speaking on the Cosmopolitan Mix on Joy FM, Thursday, he said that the list and its arrangement are based on his criteria and rankings.
“This list is in my order so it’s my choice. It is based on their skill, dexterity and of course, most of these artistes have freestyled in front of me before so that's how I got my list,” DJ Black said.
Other people creating their lists will generate a needed conversation in the industry, he told Mamavi Aboagye, host of the show.
Recently, radio stations, emcees and DJ’s around the world have been putting out their list of Top-50 rappers in the world.
DJ Black, however, decided to limit his list to Ghana.
Many people are unhappy with the positions of some rappers on the list but DJ Black believes they are taking the list out of context.
Some comments from his post on Facebook
“These are arranged on my terms. For instance, D Black is a good rapper and on my list, at 50 is where he falls. This might be different from other people’s list,” he explained.
DJ Black added that for a rapper to find themselves in a Top-50 means they are one of the most highly rated artistes in the hip-hop world.
He stated that the positions and the names on the list, leave more room for discussion about rap content, style and rappers in Ghana.
“This has got the industry talking and it’s a good thing,” he added.
DJ Black opened up on why the list includes rappers many deem dead or out of the game.
He stated that some of the songs by these rappers are still relevant today and get quoted by the new generation.
“Also putting the way they rap to new ones, they hold their own.”
“This list is the beginning of a great conversation and people should not take this to heart too much, because it is my list,” he added.
More Entertainment Headlines
- Kumasi yearns for more of Luv FM's Corporate Groove
- How Tobi proposed to me – Becca reveals as they mark first anniversary
- Video: Thousands throng Shatta Wale, Tinny’s ‘Loud in Bukom’ concert
- Video: If police arrest you for smoking weed, just beg - Shatta Wale tells fans
- R Kelly misses court hearing in Chicago after transport mix-up
- Duchess of Sussex's TV drama Suits jokes about her royal role
- Video: Mum told me Reggie Rockstone sounded like a porn star’s name
- Van Vicker jabs Kofi Asamoah for saying blacks can't be wise as whites
- Videos/Photos: Steve Harvey visits Cape Coast Castle, gets emotional
- Nigerian comedian, Klint da Drunk involved in accident
- Video: Emotional McBrown recounts 20-year struggle to have a child
- Ghanaian actors are too comfortable - Moesha Boduong
- Video: Comedian Steve Harvey in Ghana for Year of Return
- Pius wins hearts with dance moves at Chicago’s Ghanafest 2019
- 'What Do Girls Really Want' – Sister Derby, Freda Rhymz, others school Lord Paper