1. Egypt was the first country to win the tournament. Who was their coach at that time?
2. Jiri Starosta
Answer: Mourad Fahmy – He led Egypt to win their first AFCON title in Sudan beating Ethiopia 2-1 in the final.
2. In CAN 2010, Nigeria played a game against Benin. What happened during that match?
1. The Super Eagles used three captains in that game
2. The Nigerians made no substitutions
3. The Squirrels scored two own goals
4. Five goals were scored in that match
Answer: The Super Eagles used three captains in that game (Captain Joseph Yobo started the match but got injured during the game, he then gave the armband to Yakubu Aiyegbeni who scored the only goal of the game through a penalty strike, he also got substituted and passed on the armband to Osaze Odemwingie)
3. In 1965, CAF introduced a rule to the AFCON which they later ruled out in 1982. What was the rule?
1. The participating teams was increased to twenty-four
2.CAF limited the number of overseas players in each team to two
3. The host nation automatically qualified to the quarterfinals
4. The winner of the championship kept the trophy
4. How many countries took part in the first edition of the African Cup of Nations Championship?
Answer: Three – Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia took part in the first edition of the AFCON with Egypt winning it
5. Which nation was first to win the title a record of three times?
Answer: Ghana – The Black Stars won the trophy in 1963, 1965 and 1978 to become the first country to win the title a record of three times
6. Who is the all-time top scorer of the AFCON?
Answer: Samuel Eto’o – With 18 goals, the Cameroon player is the all-time top scorer of the tournament
7. How many teams have won the trophy on their first appearance?
Answer: Three – Egypt, Ghana, South Africa are the only nations to win the title on their debuts
8. Who is the oldest player to have scored in the tournament?
Answer: Hossam Hassan – The Egyptian at 39 years and 174 days, scored a goal against DR Congo in AFCON 2006
9. Which Nation has the most appearances in the tournament?
Answer: Egypt – With 24 appearances, Egypt holds the most appearances
10. In 2010, Togo withdrew from the competition, what was their reason?
1. Their team bus was attacked by gunmen in Angola
2. The Togolese did not have enough players
3. The team could not make it to the tournament on time
4. The Togolese coach resigned just before the competition started
Answer: Their team bus was attacked by gunmen in Angola
11. For the first time in the history of the AFCON, two nations hosted the tournament. What year was that?
Answer: 2000 – Ghana and Nigeria cohosted the tournament in 2000
- EC Chair and deputies file suit to halt impeachment proceedings
- Let NABCo trainees go – Chieftaincy Ministry directs registrars
- Akufo-Addo guilty, ashamed to mention ‘corruption’ – Manasseh Azure
- Remember the poor, vulnerable as you take steps to revive economy – World Bank to government
- UTAG strike: ‘We can’t build Ghana on an empty stomach’ – Dr. Asah-Asante
- If we were serious about anti-graft fight Agyeman Manu won’t be Health Minister – Manasseh Azure
- Ghana to lose $1.75m weekly if Maxam doesn’t resume operations – Ghana Chamber of Mines
- E-Levy: We’ll pass it, Minority can’t do anything – Stephen Amoah
- Persons without proof of Covid-19 vaccination will not enter Parliament – Speaker
- One-month-old baby survives Apeatse explosion
Fire razes 16-room compound house in Tamale
AFCON 2021: Egypt pipe Ivory Coast in last 16, Equatorial Guinea knock out Mali
Newmont Ghana commiserates with victims of Apeatse explosion
Government to adjust education structure to mirror Cambridge system
Apeatse explosion: There was no police escort for truck with explosives – Beppoh chief
Celebrities commiserate with Afia Schwarzenegger, family at one week celebration of late father
GFA sacks Milovan Rajevac, management committee to be reconstituted
Australian Open: Daniil Medvedev beats Felix Auger-Aliassime to set up Stefanos Tsitsipas match
Fifa president Gianni Infantino says biennial World Cup can help save African lives
KiDi, Burna Boy and Sam George among list of 100 Most Influential Young Africans
E-levy will help raise revenue to address unemployment; support it – Presidency
Sadio Mane: Senegal criticised after striker plays on despite suspected concussion
Covid-19: Premier League postponement rule changes after 22 matches called off
6-year secondary education is not a new policy – Education Minister
Playback: PM Express hosts Muntaka Mubarak to discuss the Minority’s next move on the E-Levy