Audio By Carbonatix
A 39-year-old father of four from Ghana has been identified as the man killed in one of two seemingly random shootings in northwest Toronto over the weekend.
In a police update Tuesday, Det. Phillip Campbell said Adu Boakye and another unnamed 16-year-old boy were “shot indiscriminately” less than 24 hours apart while waiting for a bus in the area of Jane Street and Driftwood Avenue on Friday and Saturday.
“Our investigation thus far has revealed there is no relationship between Mr. Boakye and the individual, or individuals, who shot him,” Det. Phillip Campbell told reporters.
“And like the victim shot the day before, Mr Boakye was innocently going about his business [when he was shot].”
Police said the 16-year-old victim, who was on his way to a volleyball game at the time of the Friday shooting, remains in the hospital in critical, but stable condition with potentially life-altering injuries.
In both cases, the victims were waiting outside of a bus stop in the area when an unknown suspect approached and fired shots at them.
Investigators have said they believe the shootings are connected. A suspected stolen vehicle used by the suspect, or suspects, in both incidents, was later found abandoned in Hamilton, Campbell added.
Investigators are asking anyone who may have seen a black Acura RDX in the area before or after the shootings to contact them.
Campbell reiterated the back-to-back shootings have “hallmarks of gang activity,” but could not speak to any potential motive behind the attacks.
Campbell did say that “nothing” in their investigation so far points to any gang affiliation for either victim.

Supt. Andy Singh of 31 Division underscored that both victims were "completely and utterly innocent," which he said is a "big part of what has caused alarm in this community.”
Police set up a command post in the North York neighbourhood the day after the second shooting, as Chief Myron Demkiw pushed people in the community to be vigilant in reporting any suspicious activity.
At this point no arrests have been made, but police did release surveillance images of a suspect on Tuesday in an effort to identify him.
He’s described by police as a Black male, between the ages of 18 and 25, with a thin build.

He was last seen wearing a black coat, white hoodie, black pants, black shoes, a black face covering and possibly a white surgical mask.
Campbell said he is confident the suspect will be identified eventually and said tips from the community will be a key part of the investigation’s success.
“I don't think it will be difficult,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
12 minutes -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
20 minutes -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
31 minutes -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
42 minutes -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
45 minutes -
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
1 hour -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
1 hour -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
1 hour -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
1 hour -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
2 hours -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
2 hours -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
2 hours -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
2 hours -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
2 hours -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
2 hours