Energy Minister, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh says, Ghana’s energy security in the medium to long term is the topmost priority of government.
This he said, is the reason he is leading efforts at ensuring that the power and petroleum sectors of the country are strengthened with the relevant legal and regulatory framework.
Dr. Prempeh made this assertion whilst contributing to a panel discussion at the 3rd Ghana Investment and Opportunity Summit (GHIOS) 2023 in London on Wednesday, 7th June, 2023 on the topic “The future of Energy in Ghana- exploring the energy mix and the case for renewable energy” he said energy is one of the main inputs to the economic development of any country as industrialisation contributes to economic growth.
He said, a key catalyst for industrialisation is the availability of affordable and accessible energy sources.
“Ghana’s economy over the years has evolved to become ever more dependent on reliable energy supply as typical of middle-income country” he asserted.
“The thrust of policy objectives of all successive Governments in the energy sector since independence has been the push for a significant increase in its energy resources for social economic development and to become a net exporter of power in the sub region” he added.
On investment opportunities in the renewable space of Ghana, the Minister who is also the Member of Parliament for Manhyia South said there exist, among others energy efficiency opportunities which include local production and sale of best-in-class energy appliances, clean cookstoves and the construction of energy-efficient buildings in Ghana.
He also said investment opportunities exist in the rehabilitation of existing and expansion of new power transmission infrastructure to enable large scale renewable energy integration.
He thus called on investors to partner Ghana for the continued growth and advancement of their respective interests.
- Why Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge chose the Berlin Marathon to prepare for the Paris Olympics
- Vodafone Director calls on SMEs to seize opportunities at upcoming Business Runway event
- FIFA and United Nations Industrial Development Organization meet to discuss collaboration opportunities
- Fuse ODG gets romantic in new single; releases ‘3eak a.m (Waistline)’
- Kotoko is building, so fans should be patient and support – Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu
- ‘Cannabis muffins’ given to 90 schoolchildren in South Africa
- Limited Voter Registration: EC assures all eligible voters will be registered
- Ghana’s economy not yet on a recovery path – Prof. Mensah insists
- Over 5,000 people benefit from free health screening by Lifetime Wells Vision
- We needed someone to get us goals, and Mohammed Kudus did – West Ham boss David Moyes
- Stop lecturing us, Guinea junta leader tells West
- PAC’s order to MMDAs to stop engaging our services is unfortunate and surprising – Zoomlion
- Over 350 farmers receive 53,000 tree crop seedlings in Sekyere Kumawu District
- ‘Things have deteriorated’ – E.L spotted at #OccupyJulorBiHouse protest Day 2
- Akufo-Addo was not sincere with Ghanaians in his self-assessment of fighting corruption – Domelevo