Audio By Carbonatix
Managing Director of Ghana Water Limited, Adam Mutawakilu, has revealed that Kasoa and Budumburam are major hotspots for illegal water connections, including unauthorised operations by some water producers.
Speaking on the Joy Super Morning Show, Mr Mutawakilu said the issue has contributed to rising levels of non-revenue water, which has increased from 40–45% in previous years to 52% currently.
“Yes, I can say that Kasoa is one of the hubs of illegal connections… Sachet water producer is producing it illegally,” he said.
The GWL boss explained that the company is reassessing the effectiveness of its Loss Control Team, which had been responsible for detecting and shutting down illegal connections. He indicated that the utility is exploring whether the team’s structure and operations remain relevant given the current challenges.
“When we came, we assessed the Loss Control Team, but why are we recording 52% non-revenue water now? That means something is wrong,” he said. “We need to evaluate whether it is still relevant today. If you are bringing in the Revenue Enhancement Team, do you still need the Loss Control Team to be there?”
Mr Mutawakilu said the Loss Control Team’s activities have been temporarily paused for about two months to trial the Revenue Enhancement Team’s approach.
The utility aims to find more efficient ways to curb water theft while recovering lost revenue.
Illegal water connections, particularly in growing urban areas like Kasoa, have long posed a challenge for GWL. Non-revenue water — which includes theft, leakage, and metering inefficiencies — reduces supply to legitimate customers and strains the utility’s finances.
The managing director noted that illegal connections not only deprive GWL of revenue but also worsen shortages in neighbouring communities that rely on a consistent water supply.
He urged stakeholders, including industrial and commercial operators, to regularise their water connections to ensure sustainable service and protect the utility’s resources.
“Non-revenue water is a serious issue, and we are trying all options to tackle it,” he said. “We must act decisively to safeguard water supply for the growing population in Greater Accra and beyond.”
Latest Stories
-
Africa urged to overhaul climate finance rules and regulations to unlock investment
13 minutes -
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
55 minutes -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
1 hour -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
1 hour -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
1 hour -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
2 hours -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
2 hours -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
2 hours -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
2 hours -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, calls for urgent environmental action
2 hours -
TMA holds first ordinary meeting, discusses development, challenges, progress
2 hours -
PAC calls for closure of livestock market near the national mosque
2 hours -
Security agencies don’t need my permission to arrest you – Speaker Bagbin to MPs
2 hours