Two years after the passing of Highlife artiste Kaakyire Agyekum, music producer Hammer of The Last Two has released the video of his hit song ‘Ohohuo Asem’.
The song which featured the late Agyekum and Sarkodie was originally recorded and released as The Last Two Reprisal compilation album in 2011.
‘Ohohuo Asem’ highlights the plight of migrants, their struggles, and their journey on a foreign land.
According to Hammer, some of the issues addressed in the song were dear to Agyekum since some of them were taken from his life story.
Eight years after the songs was leaked, Hammer and Agyekum agreed to shoot a video for the song. However, shortly after filming the video with Director Hafiz, Agyekum fell ill and died days later.
Kaakyire Agyekum died after a brief illness in November 2019 at age 31.
Sharing the story on Showbiz A-Z on Joy FM, Hammer said that “he (Agyekum) came through to watch the first cut and went back to Nkawkaw.”
“Then we heard he had fallen sick and had been taken to Koforidua Government hospital. I spoke to him, did a video call with him and after two days his brother called me and said Agyekum had passed away.”
Hammer said he decided to put a halt to the video out of respect for his family who was grieving his loss. He stated that he blames himself for waiting too long to officially release the song.
However, while in the JoyFM studio, some industry persons including George Quaye and Sadiq Abdulai Abu who were touched by Kaakyire’s story urged Hammer to release the video in remembrance of the artiste.
Hammer, who agreed with the suggestion, stated that the proceeds from the song will go to the three children Kaakyire Agyekum left behind.
Watch Hammer share the story of Kaakyire Agyekum
Hammer during the interview revealed he met Agyekum at the studios where he recorded. Agyekum at the time was a cleaner in the building. After hearing Agyekum sing while cleaning, Hammer decided to work with him.
Agyekum, however, got fired after his boss realised he had been recording.
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- You are on your own – John Kumah tells bondholders who reject debt exchange programme
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- GMA rejects debt exchange programme
- Moody’s downgrades GCB Bank due to debt restructuring
- Black Sherif is the voice of African youth – Akon
- World Cup: Rating every member of Ghana’s squad
- 81 aspirants vie for 14 national executive positions in NDC
- NPA to seek cabinet support to remove taxes on LPG
- Claims that female babies develop speech faster than males is a myth – Language Therapist
- Consensus key to sustainability of the debt exchange programme – ISSER to government
- I’ve been given over ¢100k ‘haircut’ on my investment – Franklin Cudjoe
- Mozambique ex-president’s son, others jailed for 12 years for corruption
- GWCL to cut water supply to parts of Accra
- Philip Afeti Korto: Grey hair, a sign of wisdom or ageing?
- Busy Signal to perform at Stonebwoy’s Bhim Concert in Ghana
- Government plan to cut interest costs gets pushback from local funds
- Vodafone scoops 5 honours at National Communications Awards
- Oxford University partners Ghana Gold Expo to promote CSR
- Stars in Worship 2022: A night of pure worship and gifts
- Ghana in talks with Dubai oil refiner to barter gold for fuel
- Ghana to host 1st Ultimate Entrepreneur Competition