Audio By Carbonatix
The Ningo Prampram MP has expressed surprise at Communications Minister-designate's claim that she was not aware some reports from her ministry had not been submitted to Parliament.
Sam George said he drew Ursula Owusu-Ekuful's attention to this situation at a committee sitting last year.
The 12 agencies under the Ministry are required by law to submit an annual report of activities to the Minister of Communications for onward submission to Parliament.
However, reports are that since Mrs Owusu-Ekuful took office in 2017 no report has been sent to the House.
When questioned on the matter during her vetting on Monday, the Minister-designate denied knowledge of the matter and assured the Committee that she would ensure the reports are sent to them as the law requires.
But speaking on Prime Morning, Sam George, who was a Member of the Communications Committee of the 7th Parliament insisted that he personally questioned then Minister about the matter.
“I am surprised to put it lightly that the Minister will say she was unaware. Even the 2019 budget hearing, I threatened that the Minority side will boycott the hearing if I did not receive the annual reports of agencies under the Communications Ministry.
“This is because we did not understand why the Minister for four years had failed to present any report,” he stated.
When Mr George was subsequently asked if the Minister-designate for Communitions lied to the Appointments Committee, he said, “That would be up to the Committee to determine because it does not lie in my mouth to pass judgment on her.”
Latest Stories
-
British couple on honeymoon killed in helicopter crash on Greek island
4 minutes -
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
13 minutes -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
18 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
21 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
24 minutes -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
34 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
42 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
42 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
55 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
56 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
59 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
1 hour -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour