Two illegal miners have been arrested for engaging in illegitimate mining five meters away from the Accra- Kumasi highway at Anyinam in the Eastern Region.
The suspects were reported to have been apprehended on-site after the National Executives of the Ghana National Association of Small-Scale Miners visited the scene on Wednesday.
The excavator operator and the site supervisor were said to have diverted the flow of the Birim River, thus, destructing the water body.
According to Adom News’ Correspondent, Kwasi Azor, following the arrest of the duo, there has been pandemonium at the Anyinam police station.
He reports that other illegal miners in the community massed up at the police station demanding the release of their colleagues.
Meanwhile, the National President of the Ghana National Association of Small-Scale Miners, Philip Akuffo in an interview called for the immediate arrest of all illegal miners and perpetrators in the district, particularly those working close to the highways.
The Women Coordinator in the Eastern Region, Susan Danquah Tete, expressed her dissatisfaction at the spate of destruction caused by miners in the area.
For his part, the District Chief Executive for Fanteakwa South, Ernest Ofosu, commended the task force and the leadership for their effort to complement government’s efforts to combat activities of illegal mining which have become an albatross in the country.
He pledged his commitment to support the task force achieve its aim.
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Parliament approves all six ministerial nominees
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Playback: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- Chris Hughton told me Baba Yara pitch is one of the best he’s seen – NSA Boss
- U23 AFCON 2023Q: Black Meteors held to 1-1 draw in Algeria
- Principal fired after Florida students shown Michelangelo statue
- Vatican returns Parthenon sculptures to Greece
- Chad nationalises assets belonging to Exxon Mobile
- NPP Bono Regional Organizer supports TESCON with 200k
- Mbappe scores in France heavy win over Netherlands
- This woman left her AirPods on a plane. She tracked them to an airport worker’s home
- Cedi depreciates by 22.1% in March 2023 – BoG
- I am not ready to die – Bagbin says as he calls for adjournment of prolonged sitting
- Ghana’s debt unchanged at ¢575.7bn – BoG
- Government makes additional payment for outstanding coupons
- Speaker congratulates approved ministerial nominees
- Playback: One-on-one with Prof Ofori Birikorang on PM Express
- This Saturday on Newsfile