Bayern Munich have fined Jerome Boateng after the defender broke government lockdown rules by leaving Munich to visit his ill son.
In a statement, Bayern said the 31-year-old had “transgressed the guidelines issued by the club by being too far away from his home.”
Bavaria was the first German state to go into lockdown in response to the ongoing spread of the coronavirus.
Boateng said he would respect the decision but called it “sad”.
“I know that it was certainly a mistake not to inform the club about my trip, but in the moment I only had my son in mind,” Boateng told German newspaper Bild..
“He was not in good health. When a son calls his father, of course I will still go, no matter what time.
“For him I accept any punishment; after all, he is my son.
“I want to see the father who does not go in such a moment to be with his four-year-old son. If there is a punishment for it, then I respect it. I find it sad.”
Bayern did not reveal the amount of the fine but said that they would be donating it to Munich hospitals.
In their statement, the club said: “The guidelines govern the behaviour of the FC Bayern players in the current situation in line with the Bavarian state government’s directives on restrictions on movement and the recommendations of the health authorities.
“FC Bayern believes the club has a responsibility to be a role model.”
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
- African Ministers of Health endorse and support Africa Common Position on Covid-19 passport
- Hologram, QR Code to authenticate full vaccination status of Ghanaians
Classroom block for Islamic School commissioned in Akatsi North
DR Congo: 30 sentenced to death over anti-police clashes
PPP backs calls for independent probe into alleged assault of Caleb Kudah
Bawumia endorses Ghana’s candidate for Commonwealth Youth Council
Livestream: 5th edition Ghana CEO Summit
Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
GIPC hints of 5 years tax holidays for aquaculture investors
PharmAccess’ Dr Maxwell Antwi appointed to UHC2030 Advisory Group
Assault on journalists: Media Groups call for restructuring of National Security agency among others
Dr. Adoma Dwomo-Fokuo Odame: Dear Sam George, red is the only colour that matters
Miss Universe contestants unveil protest messages in politically charged pageant
Galamsey: Desilting and dredging of the Offin river underway
Enhance babies’ food with micronutrient powder – Nutrition Officer
23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
Prince Charles wants royal palaces to go from ‘private spaces to public places’ when he is king – report