Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Ghana Chamber of Telecommunications, Ken Ashigbey says journalists should unite to explore better alternatives in addressing attacks against media practitioners.

“It is time we change how we fight this. It is really important that as journalists; as people who have the media at heart, we need to realize that this is an attack on our freedom. It is an attack on our democracy itself.”

Speaking to Emefa Apawu on Midday News Tuesday, Mr Ken Ashigbey made further recommendations and reference to help overcome the “plague” encountered by journalists.

“The way we fight it by issuing statements has to stop and take a cue from Multimedia. The modus operandi needs to change. We need to dedicate some hours from our broadcast to ensure the right thing is done.”

Mr. Ashigbey further charged state authorities and security agencies to make bold steps to help preserve the fourth arm of government.

Although he admitted that attack on journalists is not a new phenomenon in Ghana, he believes if not checked, “the media will go docile and Ghana’s democracy would be at stake.”

“We need the Minister for Information to do more than he has done. Though he has spoken against it, we need to ensure that immediately, all journalists who have been attacked and threatened are given some protection. The Cybersecurity authorities, the CID need to be paying proper attention to what is happening,” he said.

Following death threats received by freelance investigative journalist Manasseh Azure Awuni, Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah took to social media to condemn such despicable act.

Mr Ken Ashigbey further raised concerns on security service performance in investigations on cases of attacks presented before them.

“There is a case of Pius Asiedu currently in court. We need to go back to the IGP and ask questions of all the cases starting from Ahmed Suale, Abdul Latif. Where is the police so far as investigation is concerned?” he quizzed.

He also cautioned perpetrators of such acts to be weary since their actions could later lead to their demise.

“Some of the threats we are getting, no one knows where they are coming from. Those doing this, tomorrow you may be under attack and it will be the same media you will be expecting.”

Sharing his experience on the show, JoyNews’ Emmanuel Anteh gave an account of an attack against him post-election in 2012.

“I got to Obra spot and someone shouted; ‘He is part of them. I know him from Multimedia.’ Before I could say jack, they pounced on me, hitting me with all sorts of objects. Luckily for me, a taxi driver stopped, pulled me out, and drove off. That was what saved me.”

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.


DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.