Kenya’s health minister has warned that rising Covid-19 infections in the country could lead to a second wave of the pandemic.
Minister Mutahi Kagwe said infections spiked after President Uhuru Kenyatta announced further easing of restrictions.
The infection rate had jumped to 12% from 4% last month, he said. There were also increased ICU admissions in hospitals.
“There is no doubt that we are witnessing what our modelling team were calling a case of new infections. We are heading for a second wave without doubt,” he told journalists on Sunday.
He blamed laxity in social distancing and wearing of face masks for the surge, especially in bars and political rallies.
“The spike we are witnessing has not just erupted from nowhere. It has been triggered by wanton violation of containment protocols and advice from our experts,” he said.
The country has so far confirmed 44,881 coronavirus cases with 832 deaths.
- Bantama SDA Primary Headmaster shot dead by suspected armed robbers
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- 10-year-old boy allegedly commits suicide at Dambai
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Man loses lower lip during fight with friend over GH¢18.00
- African Ministers of Health endorse and support Africa Common Position on Covid-19 passport
- 7 people electrocuted, 5 others injured at Amanfrom
- Stephen Appiah tells full story of how his son, Rodney joined Olympics
Covid-19 pandemic- All non-essential trips to high-risk countries should be postponed – Akufo-Addo
Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
Hologram, QR Code to authenticate full vaccination status of Ghanaians
2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19- Akufo-Addo
Government is making all efforts to achieve overall vaccination target – Akufo-Addo
Playback: The Probe, discusses Ghana’s 2nd vaccine roll-out and Quest for Herd Immunity
Projects by government to solve energy crisis near completion – Matthew Opoku Prempeh
Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
Ghana spends $586m on unused electricity per year – Energy Minister
Dumsor schedule ends tomorrow, May 17; Energy Minister uncertain about extension or otherwise
Deteriorating dormitories and halls in WA SHS affecting teaching and learning – Headmaster
Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
Pediatricians urged to support government in combating jaundice in newborn babies
Alleged assault on Citi FM journalists: Sit up and do the work for which you were elected – NDC to Akufo-Addo
Samson Lardy Anyenini speaks on alleged assault on Citi FM journalist by National Security operatives